missing parts

john69

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1981 650 will very little history known about this machine. The odometer states 1100 miles? The fuel tank was in bad shape and had quite a bit of old varnish and some rust. I am having the carbs redone by a gentleman in Texas as I write this query.
I checked the compression with a cold engine and both cylinders registered around 155. I thought I would check the vale adjustment so I pulled off the left side cover to find T.D.C. In the process I discover two wires not connected to anything which I thought was odd. I have attempted to attach a picture showing this condition. I hope the attached picture is clear as I am not all that familiar with posting attachments. I would sure appreciate any input concerning this issue.

Attachments

• 20190322_175134.jpg
    20190322_175134.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 69
Why Tx…? surely someone in God's country ( I'm from K Falls ) can deal with carbs.....

The brushes.. at least one of them.. requires flip'n the fiber washer around prior to installation... hard to describe... perhaps someone can direct you to a previous post..with photos.. to assist.

Jim, I believe mine are gone and lost forever. I would certainly be interested in purchasing the holder if available. Any idea where I could acquire the other components necessary to complete the assembly?

I'll look tomorrow. Might have everything you need. If you haven't heard from me by sundown, post a message up here. I'm gettin' forgetful... :rolleyes:

Can't understand the PO had the bike running when you went to see/buy it.............I see Mikes is out of stock for the Brush holder and the brushes........$70-90 on Flease Bay for some NOS ones.....

If you can't get what you need I have a couple complete alternators that I can sell you one for $50.00 and you can keep yours for spares. God knows you need spares fore these bikes LOL

Your charging system won't work without the brushes, they complete the circuit. Don't even turn the key on with those loose wires situated as in your pic. The upper brown wire with the round ring terminal is switched power from the harness. Turn the key on and it will be hot, and it appears to be grounding out on the alternator. You'll blow a fuse.

Your charging system won't work without the brushes, they complete the circuit. Don't even turn the key on with those loose wires situated as in your pic. The upper brown wire with the round ring terminal is switched power from the harness. Turn the key on and it will be hot, and it appears to be grounding out on the alternator. You'll blow a fuse.
Thanks for the Info.

..... and here's how it mounts and gets wired. Place the wire connectors on top of the brush brackets, not under them .....

dQyF0pr.jpg

Back