Missing Rear Spacer (collar)? '78 w/mags

Kickflippin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The microfiche was a little unclear on whether the chain-side collar attaches to the dust boot, or is a free floating piece. if it is i have no idea how it fits because it is all SNUG.

I've adjusted and reset chain tension and alignment multiple times now, but after each ride the spacer/dust cover is askew and the wheel is slightly off alignment, even though the Axle hasn't moved and the alignment marks are still true.

Axle came with the bike with two spacers on either side; the larger dust boot deal on the chain side and a smaller spacer against the disc. Wheel has new bearings, seals and the internal spacer is intact, though it was loose on assembly. Thoughts? Thanks.

KEJEywE.png

Underside
UE4RXcC.png

disc side. Seems solid over here:
gw3DmPs.png

I can't tell for sure if the spacer is missing from your dust cap(L.S.) but it looks like it is.
This is a mag wheel axle with spacers and dust covers.
IF a PO has squeezed the swingarm together without the spacer you may have to spread it back out?

Attachments

• IMG_20150403_163821_361[1].jpg
    IMG_20150403_163821_361[1].jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 268
The dust cap is just a push fit on the spacer, it looks like it's one piece when removed and usually stays together. My first guess is that you have not transferred the spacer that is pressed into the chain side bearing over to the new bearing. Guys miss that one all the time. The bad news is that you have ruined the new bearings. Good news is they are cheap and the spacer is available aftermarket now if you threw yours away with the old bearing.

#20 in this pic. That part is the same all years 74 up.

XS rear wheel.png

The aftermarket spacer @ 650- central scroll down the page to find it. No longer available from Yamaha, this shouldered collar fits in the left side
6305 bearing to reduce it to 20mm. It replaces part # 90387-20166-00
All years.

#DCEN90-38720..... $26.00

10_21_10_part_pics%20067_small.jpg

Attachments

• XS rear wheel.png
    XS rear wheel.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 216
PS the more I look at your pics and description the more certain I am that a missing bearing insert collar is your problem.

His "the internal spacer is intact, though it was loose on assembly ..." statement is the giveaway.

Took the wheel off and brought to a different shop. Chain-side bearing was not quite seated flush due to the spacer being loose. The collars were both there, but banged up enough from a PO that the center spacer didn't want to seat. The shop did some magic to snug it all up. Seems to be rolling smooth now. I think I'm going to buy any rear wheel assemblies I see in the future; the parts seem likely to become harder to find in the future. Thanks everyone.

Definitely worth squirreling a few away if I run across any extras. I wonder if a well machined 1-piece collar/spacer would be a viable part to have made?

Back