Mist Cooling

Perhaps you could use a bubble system. I made one of these for a guy with a VW bus back in the 70's.

Jar with an air tight lid. Poke three holes. Run small stiff tubes through the holes, one to the bottom, two on top as nipples. Seal with epoxy. Mount the jar under the manifold level.

Run hose from the long tube that extends to the jar bottom up to the handle bar. Plug in an on-off air valve for aquariums.

Run two hoses from the short jar nipples to the vacuum nipples on the manifold.

Fill the jar 2/3rds full of distilled water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent. Basic Dawn or Joy is best for bubbles but any will do.

How this jobby works. After you get on the highway and the engine heats up, the valve at the handle bar is opened enough to bleed in air. The vacuum from the engine pulls air through the long tube to the bottom of the jar where it bubbles. The resulting suds get sucked up into the manifold cooling the engine.

Water Injection on the brain since the 1960's,
Tom Graham

Perhaps you could use a bubble system. I made one of these for a guy with a VW bus back in the 70's.

Jar with an air tight lid. Poke three holes. Run small stiff tubes through the holes, one to the bottom, two on top as nipples. Seal with epoxy. Mount the jar under the manifold level.

Run hose from the long tube that extends to the jar bottom up to the handle bar. Plug in an on-off air valve for aquariums.

Run two hoses from the short jar nipples to the vacuum nipples on the manifold.

Fill the jar 2/3rds full of distilled water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent. Basic Dawn or Joy is best for bubbles but any will do.

How this jobby works. After you get on the highway and the engine heats up, the valve at the handle bar is opened enough to bleed in air. The vacuum from the engine pulls air through the long tube to the bottom of the jar where it bubbles. The resulting suds get sucked up into the manifold cooling the engine.

Water Injection on the brain since the 1960's,
Tom Graham

Tom,
You've just made a case for keeping the manifolds with the air tubes that I just got rid of today. :laugh:

I'm thinking I'm going to make a misting system that mists the oil cooler for additional cooling. After that I might look into water injection.

Last edited:
Back