mixing J-B Weld with J-B KwikWeld

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know why I never thought of this before. I guess I never had the need.
Today I mixed equal parts of both tubes of J-B Weld with equal parts of both tubes of KwikWeld. I should have watched the clock, but my guess is that the set time was about 25 minutes, vs. 5 hours, and 6 minutes, for the stand-alone products.
After about two hours I can barely dent the mixture with my thumbnail, and I expect a satisfactory full cure. The full cure time for the stand-alone products is 15-24 hours, and 4-6 hours.
I know enough about epoxy to know that the two products are probably completely compatible, and that you could further adjust the set time by using different ratios of the two products.
Interestingly, I Googled "mixing J-B Weld with KwikWeld," and got zero relevant hits. The manufacturer should create a table of mixing ratios and set times, they'd probably sell a lot more product...

Would also be interesting to run some tensile and shear tests comparing different ratios.
I don't have the means, but yes, it would be interesting. According to Wikipedia, KwikWeld is not as strong as the original. I imagine the strength of the mix is somewhere in-between.

Again, I wasn't timing it, but the left-over blob of the 50/50 mix that I made cured very nicely and completely at about 6-8 hours. I cut and sawed on it, and it outwardly appears indistinguishable from either of the two stand-alone products.

Back