1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Moabiker's Tall Tales

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Moabite, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Moabite

Moabite XS650 Enthusiast Top Contributor

Moab, utah
    Supposed to arrive next week from Arizona. Will be my first time around vertical twin. I ride a 81 Suzuki GS1100GK, a trials (Scorpa SY175) motorcycle, a few Scorpa 4Tricks ( bet you do not know what that is), my daily 68 Honda Cub (40 year newer Yamaha motor in it) for dog walking in the desert and a few mountainbikes. Last year I brought back 2 bikes from the dead that sat outside in Utah sun for over 30 years...a 1976 and a 1980 Honda 750. I remember in my youth growing up in the Midwest going to flat track racing( nothing flat here in Moab!) and probably gonna try and make a nice street tracker with the 650. Have not seen bike except picture. I may ask for some help as i see the forum looks active. I believe the 650 will be a very special and fun motor with lots of character.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

You've hit the mother lode when it comes to XS650 information, sources and help. Trackers are quite popular here as well. Looking forward to a build thread!

robinc and gggGary like this.
  3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

We gotta see pics as soon as it shows up. Welcome to the sandbox!

robinc likes this.
  4. Moabite

Moab, utah
    Hey when i lived in Illinois i remember riding WOTA (wisconsin observed trials association ) events in Baraboo. Bought my first trials motorcycle from a guy up there...Steve Kirshner. Beautiful country up there for trials. Rideon. I was in NITRO ( northern illinois trials riders organization).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    gggGary likes this.
  5. Moabite

Moab, utah
    Off to work....if anyone has time google up Mineral Bottom, Moab and see where i get to shuttle some river rat's vehicle. Pretty kewl scenery, very very ledgy road!

gggGary likes this.
  6. perki48

perki48 XS650 Enthusiast

You gonna use it on the "slickrock"?

gggGary likes this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

8. Moabite

Moab, utah
    If ya want more like my style of Moab google up do not look down portal trail. I am not as skilled as you and thanks for showing nice mineral bottom video...i do not know how to do. Work starts at 10...but it not work!

9. perki48

perki48 XS650 Enthusiast

Nice thing is you would only fall "once".

robinc and gggGary like this.
  10. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Some of those rock formations look like the locations where they filmed some of those "Roadrunner" movies! (beep, beep!) :laughing: :doh:

11. Moabite

Moab, utah
    Here is the bike that is supposed to show up. IMG_4714.PNG

Wulfbyte, MaxPete, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  12. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Welcome to the party, Moab! That looks like a great start to your project! Be sure to check the "Tech" section under the Maintenance and General Troubleshooting header, like "Buying Guide-Getting to know your bike". The Xs650 motor is a kinda unique 'aminal'. You're gonna have blast! Keep those updates and pictures (pictures, pictures, and more pictures!) coming! :rock: :bike:

13. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

14. Moabite

Moab, utah
    Bike is supposed to arrive tomorrow,looks like from picture time to get the magic wand ready! Some really nice looking bikes here guys, lots of great ideas on fixes too...hope to make ya 650 lovers proud. Lots of parts gathering to do now. I kinda like numberplate/small led light as first search on 650 build ...anyone guide me to good source?

MaxPete likes this.
  15. Ratranger

Ratranger XS650 Addict

I used an aluminum numberplate off ebay, and modified a cheap ebay led projector.

Attached Files:

16. Moabite

Moab, utah
    Ya may as well make it myself (your bike rocks!)...as long as bike shows up. Bike did not make it here yesterday for unknown reason...hopefully today it arrives. I could post a pic of the (2) 750 i bring back from dead this year for you guys to see but i bet only 650's belong here...but i will slip some Moab scenery in at times...

Wulfbyte and gggGary like this.
  17. Ratranger

Ratranger XS650 Addict

Thanks!. I have a thread on here called sumotrack. There are a bunch of different things you can do to an XS. Look around at other bikes and decide how you are going to do yours and ask questions. I enjoy how different similar builds can be. Halfmile is doing a monoshock with champion seat and its completely different than I did mine. To me that is awesome to see.

18. Moabite

Moab, utah
  19. Moabite

Moab, utah
    The mountains got first snow last night, 100 f down here. IMG_20180907_182659.jpg IMG_20180907_182504.jpg

Wulfbyte, MaxPete, Jim and 2 others like this.
  20. Moabite

Moab, utah
    IMG_20180907_182732.jpg That not stock front brake eh?

Wulfbyte, bradfox125 and MaxPete like this.