Models and Miniatures

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Pete's mention today of his interest in RC models reminded me that a number of us have similar inclinations.

When I was 12 to 14, in the 1960's, I was building and launching Estes rockets.

estes-model-rocketry.jpg

Nothing was more exciting in my life (I guess I hadn't discovered girls, yet).

In the following years, I got my fingers all messed up with that wonderful model airplane glue while building cars, planes and motorcycles. At 16, I was deeply involved with designing my first real-life chopper, and as a result built a number of plastic prototypes. For this Harley, I carved/fabricated my own seat, tank, handlebars, sissy and forks from raw materials. 35mm photo, developed/printed in a darkroom (remember them?).

model.jpg

As an adult professional (psychologist), I sometimes built models with young boys who didn't have the inclination to just sit and talk in counseling sessions. This Viper survived those years, though missing a number of parts, as one child wanted to break it apart and rebuild it repeatedly.

models 002.JPG

These days, I collect vintage Matchbox race cars.

models 003.JPG

How about you?

Sounds like Fun!
I always keep a ample supply of Estes Rockets and Model Cars here at the house. You just never know when you`ll fall prey to a Hobby Flashback. I`m 70 and still do a couple of launches each year.
Dark Room? I still have all my dark room equipment from my H.S. days in the mid 60`s. Just looked at it yesterday. Something about a calendar I think.
Hobbie 002.JPG
Hobbie 003.JPG

OMG, I don't even have photos of my rockets, anymore !
You just might have to invite me over when you blast them off again..:)

OUTSTANDING!! motormike. How long have you been collecting and do you have a pic of your Cushman. My first powered 2 wheeler was a 1957 Cushman Highlander. I think my dad rode it more than I did.

I still have my HO Gauge trains/track Never had the interest to make a layout with a landscape. I did control line 1/2A 049cc aircraft. I still have one aircraft in the mancave. I have many unbuilt R/C and control line kits for my retirement age. Some bought while while I was overseas. Took pictures of my youthful adventures in my 20-40s. 110 and 35mm cameras. I had one of those 110 super cameras with the interchangeable lenses like a 35mm. Great compact camera.

Never had the interest to make a layout with a landscape
Its never too late to make one !
A local fish fry restaurant has a ceiling-level working track that is so much fun, I've thought of putting one in my living room.
Here it is:

doug-s-fish-fry.jpg

There was an Ice Cream place that had one and there was a restaurant at Williams AZ train station that had one.

There was an Ice Cream place that had one and there was a restaurant at Williams AZ train station that had one.
When I was a young child, a local department store called Edwards had a ceiling monorail which drove throughout the store. No charge for the ride, kids only. Now, why can't they offer such a thrill these days ?
Here is a pic of the train:

12033803-large.jpg

DAAANNG! Not to age you but, what year was that! Coolest thing we had in the 60's was a Sipes Grocery store with a tiny kids cartoon theater that showed Looney toons cartoons from the 40's-50's. Popeye and such

DAAANNG! Not to age you but, what year was that! Coolest thing we had in the 60's was a Sipes Grocery store with a tiny kids cartoon theater that showed Looney toons cartoons from the 40's-50's. Popeye and such
Oh, what the hell, I wear my age on my sleeve. 63.
I was about 5 or 6 in the late 50's when the monorail was running.
It was such a thrill, I actually have visual memories of riding the thing, would ya believe.

WOW............seeing all this stuff brings back memories :) I did the rockets, models and also a few RC things.........just pushing 50 and well may have to hit the local store and pick up a estes rocket ;) make my kid chase it.............

WOW............seeing all this stuff brings back memories :) I did the rockets, models and also a few RC things.........just pushing 50 and well may have to hit the local store and pick up a estes rocket ;) make my kid chase it.............
OMG !
I just checked and they do in fact still make them !
I might just get one myself, just to relive the experience......:)

OMG !
I just checked and they do in fact still make them !
I might just get one myself, just to relive the experience......:)

Yes they do ;)

Funny thing is we always revert back to our childhood.......I always find myself looking at things from years gone by.........

Somewhere I still have my original train set in a box. I even remember pulling it out 20 years ago for my first son but he wasn't into it..........Kids these days........

Back