Monster craftsman tensioner keeps popping

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm welded on my chain tensioner last night and it keeps flipping over. I had about one inch of chain slack on a david bird hardtail with 4 inches of stretch without the tensioner. When I put the tensioner on it seemed tight and looked to be set up perfect. I took the bike for a quick ride and the tensioner flipped over. We decided to weld in another half inch to the swing arm of the tensioner and it still flips over. Here's a pic of my set up. What do you think I can do fix this? I'm thinking my chain was a bit on the loose sit before I put the tensioner on but I don't want to make the chain too tight.
6163075662_b01dc06e9e_z.jpg

From the picture, it seems the tensioner is still to close to apex making it easy for it to flop over. I would say you need to weld more material to the bottom of the tensioner get it closer to the chain. So when the chain bounces up and down, the tensioner has plenty of room to travel while maintaining positive tension and not wanting to flip over. But you can go both ways, you can either add to the bottom or if you want to keep the spring low like it is, then you just need a longer arm where you previously added. Sorry to say man, but it looks like more cutting and welding...

Cant you adjust your rear wheel back a little. My tensioner was doing the same thing, so I just pushed the rear wheel back and it solved the issue.

Back