More kick start questions

rossness

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys,

Just a pre-requisite, I’m a rookie motorcycle mechanic, just done simple fixes and changed oil before this. I replaced my tach cable and in the process my tach drive slid out (again, rookie) so I had to pull off my right cover to fish for the washer at the bottom.
Pulled the cover, found washer, put it all back together, then realized my kick start wasn’t in all the way. Put the kick start back via the Tech thread (or so I thought) the cover slid into place and I cinched it all up. However, I was checking my kick start and it seems to not be engaging. It’s completely limp but will only move from crankcase to swingarm (like if it was engaging). Possibly the spring slipped when I put the crankcase back on?
My main question: is there any danger in riding it this way? My bike has electric start and I’m kind of strapped for time (I have to ride to work most days). I can pull the cover and fix the kick next weekend, but if there’s a chance the kick spring is going to destroy my clutch I don’t want to ride it. Thoughts from mechanics wiser than me?

Hi Rossness: other folks who know more will answer your specific question, but I would just like to encourage you.

Most of us are rookie motorcycle mechanics here and so there are no dumb questions and when we boob on a repair, everyone will pitch in and help to dig us out.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
I don't think it will hurt anything. I use the method described in the repair manual to install the kick shaft, works every time.
Leo

yep I just repaired my clutch and had a hell of a time getting the primary cover back on....referred to the manual and got the kicker shaft in and seated properly and the cover went back on with ease and everything works as it should.

Back