More kickstart issues

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I know this is a common issue and I have even solved it myself on a dirt bike but I have no idea.

So I have an engine that was taken out of a bike and is being out into a new frame. All wired up (kick only) but the Kickstarter was just moving free.
I took the cover off and the small tab wasn’t in the case tab so I took it all out and rewound the around the spring

Now, the Kickstarter doesn’t move freely, but it’ also is locked in about a inch swing. The gears seem to be locked up all of a sudden????

I can’t crank a starter or try to bump start it because this because the bike isn’t complete yet just the engine and wiring. Thanks!

what could I have done to make the gears locked like that? If I take the kickstart shaft totally out it still doesn't spin. It was just fine before

If the motor doesn't spin with the kick start shaft totally removed then obviously it wasn't at fault. Something else is locking it up, incorrect clutch install maybe?

Maybe! I didn't mess with the clutch at all though I just slid the kickstart Shafter out and back in . Ill retry a few times tonight and see what I come up with. Thank you!

Back