more spark issues

marvintheminnow

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just installed a replacement pamco. checked all my wiring and took my time. after i was done i did an inspection and everything looked good. turned key on and started right up with one effortless kick. let it sit idling for about 30 seconds (good idle) turned gas on and the bike shut down. kicked it over again and no start. pulled a plug and made sure it was grounded to frame and NO SPARK! how does this happen after it just sparked and i did nothing with the wiring?

marv.......,

Did you check your coil resistance before you installed the replacement PAMCO? What is the part number of your coil? You should get a power indication from the the red. You will only get a power indication from the green if the transistor just happens to be off when you check it.

Here is a test procedure:

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.
To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

i dont have a red/white wire. i have a wire coming from the ignition to the coil which is tied into the red pamco wire. i have power at that connection at the coil.

no spark with grounded plug.

well now im getting very sporadic spark. sometimes the plug will spark on one side, sometimes on the other, and sometimes on both. never enough to get the bike started. what plugs should i be using with a 74 tx650 with the pamco ignition?

Back