Motogadget M-unit

ScooterMagoo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am planning on using a Motogadget M-unit digital controller on my 75 XS650 café project. In the installation instructions, it mentions that the motorcycle should be equipped with an "interference suppressed ignition system" to avoid controller damage. Does anybody know how to set the bike up so it would be "interference suppressing?" I am pretty sure that I am not running resistor plugs but are the caps resistive? Not too familiar with the details of the spark plugs.

Scooter,
it says:

7 Electrical Connection
7.1 General
The device is working in a voltage range between 4 to 25V direct current. Use in vehicles without battery is not possible.
Make sure that the vehicle is equipped with interference suppressed spark plugs or ignition
cables. The minimum distance between ignition coil or high tension cables and m-Unit must
not be below 30 cm.

This would suggest using resistor plugs like BPR 7ES.
And keeping the high tension leads and coils away from this unit.

30 cm is about 11 inches.

Thanks, Brian. I just wasn't sure how sensitive the ignition system is to adding resistance to the spark plug leads. I will be doing a rephase and using Pamcopete ignition after the café conversion and not sure how sensitive to resistance that ignition system is.

Hi scooter,
put the gadget in the cafe's bumstop and she'll be fine.
But $300+? You can buy real nice rearsets for $300.

Yeah, I know Fred. It's a bit pricey, but it will replace every relay and simplify wiring. I am going for a very clean look....a combination of old and new technologies. If you think the M unit is $$$$, you should see the Motoscope Pro price tag. But its so cool. I also plan on really skinny LED arrays for blinkers, tail and brake lights. Basically, when the bike is not running, you wont be able to see any gauges, lights or anything, just the headlight. I will post pictures of the progress.

I found Motogadget easy to install and connect and very high quality. Online technical support is also available. I haven't used an M-unit but probably will when time comes for a rewire as I don't like the new harnesses on offer from Mikes much and am not really experienced in making up my own. I replaced this instrument cluster a couple of years ago on another bike, not an XS, and it's operating faultlessly and constantly wet in the tropics. I'll be watching your bike with interest Scooter as my XS is almost up for rewire.

Attachments

• instrument cluster.jpg
    instrument cluster.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF2707.jpg
    DSCF2707.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 416
Back