Motor sitting for 3 years

Morgs Motors

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
This is my first post after years of reading.
Firstly, thank you for all the people on here that have made this site an absolutely invaluable source of information, and inspiration. Sincerely, thank you all.

I do however have a question that can't find an answer to in the archives!

I have a motor that I stripped and rebuilt 3 years ago. At that time, the fram wasn't ready for the motor, and with moving countries (again), new job, etc, the build timeline got side tracked.

Do you guys think it would be okay to flush the case out to get rid of any dust etc and get on the starting it up? Any other ideas? Any concerns?

Many thanks in advance!

Morgs Motors, in your original posting you mentioned dust. Were you concerned because dust/fine sand had gotten into the engine, or were you just concerned about starting a motor that had sat for a while?

2-Stoke Oil: As bikefreakjon pointed out. I have used both 2-stroke and motor oil. Motor oil took at least 20 miles of riding to burn off whereas 2-Stroke is burnt off after about 1 mile. Motor oil smokes a lot and the 2-stroke only smoked a little at startup.

Last edited:
Morgs Motors, in your original posting you mentioned dust. Were you concerned because dust/fine sand had gotten into the engine, or were you just concerned about starting a motor that had sat for a while?

2-Stoke Oil: As bikefreakjon pointed out. I have used both 2-stroke and motor oil. Motor oil took at least 20 miles of riding to burn off whereas 2-Stroke is burnt off after about 1 mile. Motor oil smokes a lot and the 2-stroke only smoked a little at startup.

Hi Paul!
I was worries about both actually....
I've noticed a little surface rust on the top side of the valves. Not bad. But wondering if it will 'burn off'?
Also to dust etc..... I've blown out all the orifices with a bit of compressed air but will that be enough?

Thanks in advance!
Morgs

a little rust isn't going to hurt anything once it is running coated with oil it will stop rusting and usually they're pretty disgusting with carbon buildup so some surface rust is no big deal.

Blow it out, vacuum it out and fire it up!

Thank everyone. I'm just a few weeks away from having all my parts arrive here in Oman from the US. Fingers crossed for an August rumble!
I'll post a link to the video!

Back