Motorcycle Camping on an XS650

I fear we are taking this excellent thread off topic which is a shame .
Apologies Gordon if I inadvertantly contributed to this.

First off.....happy Father's day to all you poor bastards out there. Kids.....you gota love em because they send you to jail if you kill em. I've been lucky and have (knock on wood)
been blessed with some pretty wonderful children. I wasn't as kind to my parents (plenty of campfire stories on that subject...snake bit, accidentally shot myself, had a bit of Jesse James in me growing up)

Second......thank you Mick for setting me straight ( I edited it) Thief and theft.....I NEVER was any good at spelling. Sometimes my computer's spell checker just says "HUH????"

Man oh man I'm loving all of this. Sorta like we're around the campfire and chatting away. You have to admit.....some of the advances we have made in the tech field makes for a much more interesting hobby. It used to be.....you had a couple of motorcycle friends and a small shop or two you could go to to chat about our hobby....now your sitting across from a fellow that's all the way around the other side of the world. Where I'm sitting it's Summer and it's Winter where he's sitting....that amazes me. (well, I am easily amazed)

Anyway......keep it up fellows and thanks for going to the trouble to share. I'm headed out on the XS to go retrieve my share of my dad's ashes and give him a little ride along the river.

Your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Last edited:
I fear we are taking this excellent thread off topic which is a shame .
Apologies Gordon if I inadvertantly contributed to this.

OH NO......heck, fellows I don't own this thing and SURELY don't mind you guys talking about anything you want to.

This isn't one of those...."How do I fix this.....(fill in the blank) ". We/you can wander all you want, this is as much your's as it is mine and as long as the mods don't mind.....we'll keep taking up band width until they ask us not to.

It's ALL good...........:thumbsup:.........Gordon

I'll be going over my waterproof bags next and a report on the hammock........to be continued

OK. I've been inspired. I just signed on to go to the Moto Guzzi camp at Meadows of Dan next weekend. My MG has huge bags and a rack, so I have no excuse. I have an old tent that has kept me dry in plenty of thunderstorms. So, it looks like I'm going for it.

.....unless there's an unclaimed bed in the bunkhouse. :laugh:

Mick you asked about the 40 pic. Here it is. We left yesterday and have 12,days. Should be able to see some of KS, CO, NM, TX, OK, and AR before returning to mizzery.
OK it isn't an XS but is excessively loaded. The little bride likes the couch says I've gotten to big to leave her any seat on the 650.
Anyway we made it west of Ft. Scott Kansas to Lake Francis. A nice little pay to camp place. Restroom and showers for $15. I'll buy that. But we didn't have the fifteen. That's OK we want supper so after se5ting up camp we rode.back into Ft.Scott for Sonic burgers.
UH.OH The couch is slow to crank and the headlight weak. Got back to.camp and the multi meter confirmed we were getting only a 11 volt charge at 2k. Damn PMA's. 22,yrs. service and it quits on the road. . . . . . .waiting for the son to calvary us. Well it is father's day so I 'm calling in chits.while waiting we enjoyed a breakfast of warm Dr.Pepper and jerky.

Attachments

• IMG_20160618_153508_317.jpg
    IMG_20160618_153508_317.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20160618_201632_367.jpg
    IMG_20160618_201632_367.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20160619_094410_306.jpg
    IMG_20160619_094410_306.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 233
Weekendrider.....did you get it fixed??? Hauled into a shop??? side of the road????

I've never owned/ridden any of that road furniture but sure won't hold that against you. It's got two wheels....and that's good enough for me.

Love the way your "little bride" is touchig your arm in that one photo.......priceless and says a lot about you two.

I had one of the best rides yesterday that I've ever had on a motorcycle. The XS (B model) was purring like a kitten and the weather was perfect!!!!! I had a SEG on my face all afternoon that I couldn't shake off. Not sure what was so special, maybe it was having my dad along with me (in my pocket) or maybe the stars aligned just right ....either way....it was perfect.

Good on ya Marty....hope you have the best weekend ever. So many events to choose from this time of year not sure which one I'll do next.

I did some research on the hammock thing. Haven't had a chance to string it up but I did find where in some parts of the world they lay in it in the "other" direction. Nor sure how to expalin it but I'll do my best to give it a try and get some photos of it.

You guys and gals take care........to be continued

glad your ride with your dad went well ,the other hammocks which sleep across (sth American?) are a different design from the look of them and a lot larger ,there are a few on survivalist sites fully inclosed (mozzie net as well) which combine to hang up or peg to the ground as a small tent but don't know how good they are or if they are just a toy, how does every one go for a stove ,that was the 1 thing I could not sort out properly ,tried quite a few different ones but size of bottles /avalibility of canisters etc was always a hassle (you cant always light a fire)

10483.jpg

80228f2e9e60bddc4d550902adcd3c33.jpg

Ekins 3.jpg

This was my inspiration for traveling and camping on a motorcycle. This need started pretty early in my life. This happened at about the same time my dad brought home a '68 Candy Red CB350 and supplied me with the sandpaper and black spray paint, I did all of the work with the stock tool kit and owners manual. You see, I skipped the Honda 70 and dirt bikes and went right for the road bikes instead and never looked back. I was big for my age, looked like I was old enough riding on the road with a helmet. I would love to watch all of the episodes again if I could find them. Nice styling on that custom Harley, for any bike, too.

Scott

Last edited:
Bronson probably sold more bikes than any commerical.
First nights lesson if you put the tent under a tree to hide from the morning sun it takes a lot longer to dry the dew so you can fold it up.
Sent the son a text @ 6 the next morning. Get the trailer and come.rescue us. At 8 he called wanting to know if I was yanking his chain. . . .
Plans made we passed the time in the shade, took pictures and talked out various "what to do's". I finally decided on going back home to make the repairs and then we would putt round our part of the world on day trips. The calvary arrived about 2:30 but still had to wait for the battery to finish charging to load the bike. Then my son dropped the fathers day bomb. I'm taking you to Wichita the dealership can get you in on Tues am and have all the charging components in stock. This mean another 2 1/2 hr.s west for him and no way can he get back home before 2 - 3 ish am. I'm not that agreeable. That would make for a long workday. No worries he had some time banked and has taken off Monday. I ran out of you don't need to be doin that arguments so we are in Wichita and hopefully will be headed on west before the 100+ degree heat gets here Wed.

- - - how does every one go for a stove ,that was the 1 thing I could not sort out properly ,tried quite a few different ones but size of bottles /avalibility of canisters etc was always a hassle (you cant always light a fire)

Hi FLEA,
a Primus stove that burns white gas (naptha? Coleman fluid?) would be my recommendation.
You can buy that stuff just about anywhere.

how does every one go for a stove ,that was the 1 thing I could not sort out properly ,tried quite a few different ones but size of bottles /avalibility of canisters etc was always a hassle (you cant always light a fire)

Cheap and easy way is take a bag, (small), of insulating bats/fiber and a drink can or two or three or buy one on the road and some rubbing alcohol or liquid lighter fluid and a small stand.

Cut the bottom off 2 of them, stuff a bit of wool in with some fluid and up end the other and slip over the top of the first, as an outer.

Should say to punch a few holes on the bottom of the one that is used for the top.

light it and it should be enough to boil a billy for tea or heat some food.

Has been posted before, but could be over on the 650rider site and i thought i had saved it.............. but, alas i cant sort out my filing system

Since FLEA asked.....I thought I'd skip the waterproof for a bit and do my bit on a camp stove.

stove%20001.jpg

This is my rig, complete with fuel bottles. I've spent a week out at a time and never ran out of fuel. This is absolutly the OLDEST peice of gear I have. 30+ at least and it has never failed to work. I actually have 2 of these if I need an extra.

I carry a "mucket" to cook in but in a pinch it's carrying case can be used.

stove%20002.jpg

It the legs fold up and it fits nicely into it's carrying case.

stove%20003.jpg

stove%20005.jpg

stove%20006.jpg

Weekendrider......good on your family for coming to the rescue....and I hope you and the bride are having the time of your life.

If and when I have to replace these (not sure that will ever happen???) I think I'd go to a "dual fuel" model. Burns the same gas the bike does.....never tired one but haven't heard anything bad about them......anybody on here use one??????????

to be continued.............................

Last edited:
I use a one burner propane stove but there is one huge advantage to using the type that Gordon uses. It takes forever to boil water with the propane, a slight breeze and the maximum temperature is even lower. Coleman type fuel burns much hotter than propane.

Scott

DAMN YOU SCOTT!!!!!!! :cussing: I should have been cutting/splitting wood for winter BUT I just spent 3 hours watching Then Came Bronson :bike: episodes instead. :popcorn::) :love: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Going to watch some more later.....:sneaky:....you cad.

Gordon in NC

Ha Gordon, I did the same thing yesterday, liked the one about painting the barn. I might be planning that trip to Alabama yet this year, after I get a hair cut.

Scott

"The Gleam of The Eagle Mind"........yep a good one. 1969-1970 I was 19 years old and living in Southern California. Just bought my first motorcycle.........man oh man does that bring back a flood of good memories.

back to camping......soon.......Gordon in NC, who remembers when a Sportster wasn't considered a "girls" bike.

Gordon in nc,
Thank you for starting this thread. You've struck a chord with everyone. The whole concept of "roughing it smoothly" is what my friends and I refer to as "Super-Camping". Although I've yet to camp with the bike, I can see I certainly didn't invent the idea of pitching a tent under a simple canopy using a tarp. Another stove option is the 'MSR' line of backpacker/mountaineering stoves. Extremely compact, efficient, flexible fuel sources, and boil water very quickly.

Back