Motorcycle Camping on an XS650

OK. Yes, you can cook and hang out by the fire!
One time I lived in this shantytown of camper trailers. There was a guy who surrounded his camper with bales of hay to block the wind. He also had a fire most nights. Hay is about the most flammable thing there is besides gasoline, but the bales never caught fire. "God protects drunks and the United States of America." Cool guy, former Marine named Glenn. My friends have included a disproportionate number of former Marines.

Last edited:
Lighting a fire under this old camping thread. Love the way Gordon does things!
This rig is well tested, in use 4 or 5 years now. A stainless camping pan set found on banggood, an even cheaper backpack "stove" and a gggGary wind shield that makes ALL the difference to reduce time to boil and cut fuel burn.
Aluminum shield was cut from some dryer duct with two edges folded over 180 so they interlock. Legs came from a lawn chair arm, hacksaw slotted to slip on the shield. Black strap is cut from a 4x16 innertube. Brought it out the shed for pics yesterday, I will prolly make the fuel valve handle a bit longer so it's easy to reach. After couple years of bouncing around in the panniers I did have to replace a screw in the stove folding mechanism. ;^)
CAMPING! good thing to think about while looking out on snow at 8 degrees F this morning.
20210119_113000.jpg 20210119_113021.jpg 20210119_113102.jpg 20210119_113227.jpg 20210119_113254.jpg 20210119_113318.jpg

Attachments

• 20210119_113246.jpg
    20210119_113246.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I went camping on my XS1100 in Sept. It went well. I put my 25 yo Coleman tent in the dumpster at the end of the weekend. It was a good one. I need new stuff that packs very small.

Or... I'll have to get a Road King or somethin' to haul all the crap. Maybe another Goose.

Side entry 3 man tent Marty. Cuz we're too old to fight through an end entry, with an air mattress and all the riding gear we need the room.
I snagged a mountain hardwear off CL for cheap and really like it.

Side entry 3 man tent Marty. Cuz we're too old to fight through an end entry, with an air mattress and all the riding gear we need the room.
I snagged a mountain hardwear off CL for cheap and really like it.
The Coleman I put in the dumpster was 7' x 7' and perfect size. It packed too big. I need small packages and to be kept dry.

I enjoy watching these kids doing it. There's no reason I can't. Their channel has some good adventures.

In da UP last summer eh?
20200728_173617.jpg

tent is prolly discontinued but yeah the newer ones have a "headroom pole over the entrance", a good thing. Packing on a bike, the bigger cheaper versions of backpacking gear are often the cat's meow. Camp chair is on my gotta have list. Note a small "doormat tarp" for the tent.

Last edited:
good to see this thread back up and running again , time marchers on even with camping gear , have now found the gas canisters are a lot better for stoves , the old ones once the stove and cannister were attatched they had to stay that way till empty , now you can disconnect without loosing gas so definitly my perfered stove on the xs650 BUT on the can am spyder i can almost carry the kitchen sink

Lighting a fire under this old camping thread. Love the way Gordon does things!
This rig is well tested, in use 4 or 5 years now. A stainless camping pan set found on banggood, an even cheaper backpack "stove" and a gggGary wind shield that makes ALL the difference to reduce time to boil and cut fuel burn.
Aluminum shield was cut from some dryer duct with two edges folded over 180 so they interlock. Legs came from a lawn chair arm, hacksaw slotted to slip on the shield. Black strap is cut from a 4x16 innertube. Brought it out the shed for pics yesterday, I will prolly make the fuel valve handle a bit longer so it's easy to reach. After couple years of bouncing around in the panniers I did have to replace a screw in the stove folding mechanism. ;^)
CAMPING! good thing to think about while looking out on snow at 8 degrees F this morning.
View attachment 183114 View attachment 183113 View attachment 183112 View attachment 183115 View attachment 183110 View attachment 183111
My stove is a Coleman 400B single burner which was common but which Coleman quit making parts for. I didn't know they did that....

I burn gas in it. I once emptied it into my tank to get to a gas station I could see in the distance...

F0528040-5EDB-41B2-BE3E-25C71C1D33D4.jpeg 9262CE47-43B8-429F-9BBF-F5E7E1D310A7.jpeg What is it about motorcycles and camping. You have a bike you have to go camping.
Made this just last week, to see if it makes cooking with the Coleman better.

Attachments

• 9F6F4AA9-6B27-42D1-B051-B09B659EE59E.jpeg
    9F6F4AA9-6B27-42D1-B051-B09B659EE59E.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 124
good to see this thread back up and running again , time marchers on even with camping gear , have now found the gas canisters are a lot better for stoves , the old ones once the stove and cannister were attatched they had to stay that way till empty , now you can disconnect without loosing gas so definitly my perfered stove on the xs650 BUT on the can am spyder i can almost carry the kitchen sink
They have an adapter to refill those 2lb propane containers
Don't know if it gets the completely full but a 20lb tank can fill a lot of the 2lb ones

Back