Motorcycle Camping on an XS650

Yeah Marty. Had a Eureka that went 30 years, then handed it on to a boy scout. :D
Buddy @Cafefill is on his second Eureka and he's done all 50 states on motorcycle TWICE.
He saw my stove wind shield in action, and next trip had made one for his square propane stove. :thumbsup:

Interesting thread.
I've not been bike camping for at least 20 years, but the two decades before that was spent doing it a lot. I was just thinking of the kit I still have, stashed away and unused since. I'm still up for it, but not in the cold, not any longer.
For cooking, I used an assortment of devices, from pump-up paraffin (kerosene) stoves to the ubiquitous Gaz (in Europe) small disposable cartridge stove, but I ended up settling on these two...
For solo camping, a Trangia meths burner and two billy cans...
TRANGIA%20Burner.jpg

And for emergency fall-back, the hexamine stove, as beloved and hated in equal measure by countless services personnel around the world...
1EC45ADE5711307716C684F162EEAC89.jpg

Both take up no space at all, and neither has ever let me down.

Yes Sir .. that type have I used .. working well but gets soot on the pans
A Story of a mishap
I was on a small Island on the East coast by Canoe ..landing for for the night --- The Bike was on land. and had two of them burners ...cooking rice and frying sausage
the fuel for the rice burnt empty , so I was going to fill up.
Middle of that suddenly a gust of wind blew the flame from the still burning other burner over
and lit fire to the not only the burner but also the filling bottle.
And in the process I jerked back and some of the burning alcohol flew out and lit fire to the dry grass.
Started to look as a regular Australian Bush fire .. After a while I got the cork on the filling bottle and with the drinking water and stamping around I managed to stop the fire.
The fuel they sell here has some additive in it so it cant be used for drinking
Denatured Alcohol ..so in this action packed jerking ...Bushfire to be ... some of that fluid had fallen into the Rice
So even though I was hungry after a day in the canoe I could only eat a little It tasted awful.
There was a witness ... a snake .. But it was not aggressive so all in all a good outcome.

The tent I have used is a 70 ies double wall so rain and heat stays out.
It was a supermarket 15 $ grab and go. 2 man tent .. It was just meant for a couple of days
1/2 week with the girlfriend getting outdoors a bit on vacation. One of the best deals I have ever done
It is not small rolled and it is not light .. By today standards ....But it is good.

Back