mount rear shocks to my XS650E

chrismd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I had purchased shocks for my bike, the original were shot and rusty. the new ones were ordered from Mikesxs. they are the right ones, but can't get the Eye (top rubber insert) on to the frame to properly bolt up. what will work, i guess i have to compress the shock, it is so tight. i can bolt the bottom and the top is a problem. it goes on and rubber insert starts to pull out. any remedy would be appreciative.
shock size 13 3/16"
thanks,
Chrismd

You could try, after lubing of course, using a deep socket smaller in diameter of the rubber but larger than the shock mount and tapping it on with a hammer. Gently tapping so you don't bend the mount.

I'm having a similar problem, I tried to take my rear shock off but the exhaust pipe blocked the screw from coming out all the way, so I put ratchet straps on the arm and on the spring but I CANT GET THE SCREW TO LINE BACK UP, I can't get the threads to start in, I just wanna put it back together at this point but I can't. So I'm left with a bottom screw just sitting halfway in the hole and feeling quite defeated haha

Any suggestions to line the screw back up would be awesome
thanks guys

I tried to take my rear shock off but the exhaust pipe blocked the screw from coming out all the way...

Any suggestions to line the screw back up would be awesome
thanks guys

The way to do this is remove the nuts on the top mount. Then pull the shock tops off the studs and then raise the rear wheel. That will let the bolts on the lower clear the mufflers. Assembly is the reverse.... I asked this question myself once. It was a slap yourself in the forehead moment.

Back