Mountain bike fork oil

ninskrillz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I've called around everywhere trying to find some fork oil for my front end that I'm about to lower, and all I could find was 15w bicycle suspension oil. It says it's no foam high V.I. on the packaging. The brand is finish line. You guys think this will do fine? I remember reading somewhere that it'll work fine but can't seem to find that info now.

So I've called around everywhere trying to find some fork oil for my front end that I'm about to lower, and all I could find was 15w bicycle suspension oil. It says it's no foam high V.I. on the packaging. The brand is finish line. You guys think this will do fine? I remember reading somewhere that it'll work fine but can't seem to find that info now.

I would not use that viscosity myself.I think you need higher viscosity. Most lads will tell you to use "motorcycle fork oil", and that's not wrong. Also everyone seems to have there own preference for the viscosity.

I've just been using 15W40 motor oil for many years now, and I like it a lot.

Actually, the stock recommendation is only 10wt., at least on the '78 and newer bikes anyway.

ninskrillz...................there is really no correct answer for your question. There are so many variables:
-The fork springs may or may not have lost tension over the years.
-Do you like a firm suspension or do you like a lot of front end dive when you brake.
-Rider weight will be a factor.
-Tire pressure normally used?

It would be trial and error to see how you like the feel of the bike. Try 10 or 15 weight oil and it may be just fine. If not then drain the oil and go to a thicker viscosity.

Its important to use the correct amount of oil.
203 cc or 7 oz. per leg works quite well.

Try calling around to some motorcycle shops. There are 2 indie shops and 3 dealerships within 18 miles of my rural Southern Illinois location, and every one of them stocks Spectro fork oil in a full range of viscosities.

Try calling around to some motorcycle shops. There are 2 indie shops and 3 dealerships within 18 miles of my rural Southern Illinois location, and every one of them stocks Spectro fork oil in a full range of viscosities.
I called a couple earlier to no avail, but found a new one and they had some! they had amsoil #10 in stock.

random VTX forum member said:
...sometimes you can find it at bicycle shops too. Especially if you live near a mountainous area (suspension bicycles use the same type fork oil, just not as much). There's a couple bicycle brands but they're basically the same stuff. Some of them have more anti-foam agents than motorcycle oil because of the rigors the small amounts of oil are subjected to, but as far as I know, nothing that would hurt a motorcycle...

this is where i got the idea to use bicycle suspension oil. maybe someone else can attest to this info.

ditto the random VTX forum member -- 15w fork oil should be the same, plus or minus some anti-foaming agents. Should work great!

Source? 15+ years of getting paid to work on bicycles in a professional capacity.

word up, i did end up just returning the bike stuff having found a shop that stocks amsoil, but good info to put out there thanks buzz

Back