Mounting two Green Monster coils?

CeeAnton

XS650 Member
Reaction score
As part of the build on my '82 Heritage Special, I got Hugh's PMA kit and PamcoPete's complete re-phased kit from MikesXS. That kit came with two of those fugly Green monster coils. I can't get both mounted to the stock mounting point in the tunnel under the tank. I have heard that they get really hot and need some airflow, so I don't know that I want to try mounting them in a fake oilcan (or the like). I might be able to make some kind of a bracket, or mount them elsewhere, but the tunnel would still be ideal, for me. (I hate seeing wires/cables/etc. I'm trying to keep as much of the guts hidden, for as clean a look as I can get. Plus, I don't want to look at these fugly green things on my gloss black and chrome build.)

Has anybody mounted these fugly Green Monster coils? Do you have ideas? Pictures? I'm sure I can figure it out, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel. Someone else may have a better/cleaner idea than I do.

I mounted mine under the tank using the existing brackets. It took some machining and a lot of test-fitting but is worked out fine.

uG53qkh.jpg

I used aluminium for the baseplate and for the two 'little towers' to be sure it would easily cool the coils.
I did this on the left side only(dual coil) ,but I guess you could always make two.

PsODLLH.jpg

As you can see the coil doesn't show once the tank is mounted.

Nice solution! Thanks!! I had thought about making some kind of bracket to hold them on, but still wasn't sure if I could fit them in there. But, that may be my solution.

Btw, that's a really interesting front end! Like a double-wishbone suspension. Are those re-purposed fork tubes on the bottom? Are they welded together in some way to keep the left and right from moving independently and stressing the axle?

There are no fork tubes. It's made of thick walled pipe.

tpzP6pb.jpg

In the pick, of poor quality, u can see the construction. It's a fairly common front end for a sidecar setup. It prevends diving when the front brakes are being used, instead it rises.

I believe it's called an Earles Fork

Last edited:
Here, attached are some pictures of how I mounted my green monsters. More relevant than fork pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 378
Also, take this into consideration, I am using an aftermarket fuel tank with a wide tunnel. Make sure the coils will fit under your tank if its a stock unit.

Awesome pics, thanks! Yeah, I'm using the stock Heritage Special tank, but I *think* I *might* be able to get them to fit if I have the sides of the coils right up against each other on the bracket. I think this is the way I'm gonna have to go. Thanks!

Back