Mr Riggs Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

I’d take one of those at $150 in a heartbeat. This is my only bike and I’ve done enough clutch fiddling in one season of riding for that to be a no-brainer for me. Put me down for one.

Thanks for taking the initiative with this, and keep the updates coming!

Spoke to my metal guy and I’ve bought some material.

We have 13-8 Stainless for the slave body and piston, from the F1 Mercedes team no less!

View attachment 186438
View attachment 186439

And something called Toughmet-3 TS160 a Copper-Nickel-Tin alloy for the press in pushrod bushing
https://materion.com/products/high-performance-alloys/toughmet/toughmet-tempers
View attachment 186440
Daniel.
Are you going to machine these by hand or CNC them? What seal will be used in the cylinder? Oring or a regular oil seal?

Last edited:
Are you going to machine these by hand or CBC them? What seal will be used in the cylinder? Oring or a regular oil seal?
These will be hand machined, I haven’t looked into CNC machining as this is a very small run and I imagine wouldn’t be cost effective.

I’ll be using something called a ‘quad ring’, exactly like what is used in a brake calliper. A traditional o-ring would attempt to roll in the bore as the piston travels its path.

Daniel.

Last edited:
These will be hand machined, I haven’t looked into CNC machining as this is a very small run and I imagine wouldn’t be cost effective.

I’ll be using something called a ‘quad ring’, exactly like what is used in a brake calliper. A traditional o-ring would attempt to roll in the bore as the piston travels its path.

Daniel.
All sounding good Daniel.

Material arrived today, looks good. I reckon I have enough to make 10 slave cylinder assemblies.

Going to visit my machinist friend early next week, I’ll leave the drawings of my slave cylinder with him, he has a couple small things to finish off for me first but I’m sure he’ll get stuck into this pretty quickly once they’re done, he always surprises me with his turnaround times.

Daniel.

Last edited:
That makes four, brilliant!

I’m really excited by this little venture if for nothing more than to be able to produce something people like and offer something back to this great community.

Daniel.

Daniel, just a suggestion, maybe post a list of those that have indicated they want to buy one, just to avoid confusion and disappointment. Thx for your efforts on this project.

Will there be any machining of the case needed other than opening up the hole for the slave attachment?

That is a good idea, I think I’ll do just that Bosco.

There will be no machining of the case required other than to allow the banjo fitting of the hydraulic cable to pass through.

471924BC-B5BB-47C7-A87A-3E4162E72DB6.jpeg

I anticipate opening the hole up to the entirety of the recessed hole should suffice but I will clarify that when I get to measure a fitting.

Daniel.

Back