Muffler cleanup suggestions?

madmax-im

Yamaha...Go your own way...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The one day it rained while out riding i had on my Frogg toggs pants and they melted against the hot mufflers on both sides...I have removed about 95% of it with just a little gasoline and a non abrasive scrubber pad. The rest of it will not come off. Is there a solvent that would remove the rest of it?

I used to have a pair of boots that had some kind of synthetic sole on them. If I accidentally kicked or touched the pipes it would melt and leave these black spots. I found the easiest way to remove them was with a single edge razor held at a low angle and use a light touch.
It took them right off and didn’t scratch the pipes.
Might work for you?

Thanks for that Bob ..i will certainly give it a try..all the spots left are pretty much below or out of sight but I know its there...I'll let you know if that works..chrome is slippery too...LOL

For when that doesn't work, a rag soaked in MEK will remove melted shoe, rainsuit, or bike cover from chrome exhaust. MEK does not appear to harm chrome.

I've always just used chrome polish and an old toothbrush. Takes a bit of scrubbing but it always worked.

Back