Muffler inlet size? Will ZZR600 2 inch be

The Tin Man

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
With my tracker build i am using a standard rebuilt 650 and twin walled headers. im looking on Gumtree ( Aussie Craiglist ) for a cheap pair of mufflers , the problem is they are all have larger inlets mostly 2" I like the KTM cans but they are smaller than the stock header so will restrict. Will cans with 2 inch inlets be a problem other than adapting them? that is will they be too free flowing perhaps too loud ?
Your opinions appreciated.

Not a worry with a muffler being too free flowing, any 2" can will be within jetting of running well. Only muffler issue I've found is a few "quiet" aftermarkets were poorly designed, too restrictive for the XS once it got wound up.

I am tempted by this wiseguy I can buy at a reasonable price but for looks only, the noise and drivability it might produce are a worry. I could cut the ends off and shove a baffle in but I want as much low end as is available , for old man putterings and im concerned by the short pipe effect.
49204658_361919584626188_2679020382417059840_n.jpg

I'm with you on the too loud, this set of cans has been on, off, and back on.
DSCN3211.JPG
Fine for around the area with my inflatable ear cushion, full face, but I couldn't face a long distance trip listening to them.
(unobtanium Borla's I lucked into on the classies here.;^) They are straight thru but have effective serrated channels and packing in a can with enough volume to dampen out those high frequencies.
Biggest problem is many cans don't suppress the high frequencies and sound HARSH. 2M touches on some exhaust tech now and then with mufflers, reversion waves, and cylinder charge packing, it's a deep well if you are after serious power.

i like low end "tractor power" also but the XS650 motor is a revver not a lugger, at the extreme low end rod bearings will suffer.

Last edited:
Yes, a deep, black hole.

There's the sound,
And there's the performance.

Select a cam timing to put the torque curve where you want it,
Then design an exhaust to compliment the cam,
Same with the inlets.

Then, try to tune the thing.

For the sound, there's wave shaping.

It helps if you have experience with wind and brass instruments, and can tune pipe organs.

The same set of lips can blow a trumpet, French horn, baritone, tuba.
But they sure sound different.

Gets pretty complicated designing and tuning 2-stroke resonant exhausts...
2StrokeExhaust.gif

Thanks too many, but that's too much for me. I'm more about function than form anyways, That's why i like the look of the wiseguy but I'm thinking Ill go stock headers and cool lookin cans as a sensible choice for noise and ridability, BUT to be honest I have no idea how much drag pipes would affect either I just know I don't want it too loud and i don't want to be revving the guts out of it.

I don't want it too loud and i don't want to be revving the guts out of it.

That's not that hard to achieve. Madness above has a hot rod motor 750 motor built cam and all for high RPM power but it works just fine as a chuffer it pulls right from the basement and it wasn't that hard to do, um, don't read the madness thread (LOL)The short version is you need fairtly big can(s) to get that sweet spot of reasonable noise level and low end grunt.
Never seen this done, but it might be a reasonable solution for you.
This EBR OEM (not mine) is just a resonator can 2 into 1, the real muffler on the this bike lives under the motor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-15-16-Ebr-1190rx-1190-Rx-Exhaust-Can-Muffler-Slip-On-Pipe-OEM-BUELL/282256871771?fits=Make:EBR&epid=24008574604&hash=item41b7d2115b:g:BgUAAOSwcLxYKxLo:rk:21:pf:0
used resonator.jpg
I can check the inlet diameters if you'd like :sneaky:
This actually has me thinking....................

Last edited:
Maybe I'm understanding you Gary? My Ford Ranger has a glass pack. Without the tail pipe it is pretty loud, but add the tailpipe in back of the glass pack and it is pretty mellow.

Scott

Back