Muffler replacement

Prisondawg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
When I bought my bike it came with this 2 Into 1 exhaust that sounds like a tin can. It high pitches and crackly and sounds like a dirt bike.

I want it to sound quieter, low pitches and muffled like a purr.

What's the best way to accomplish this sound?

I know a 2 into 2 exhaust is favorable, but I don't want to have to spend the money to get a whole new exhaust system.

Is it possible to achieve the desired sound by switching out my current muffler for a new one ? If so, which muffler should I use and where should I buy it?

It should be common practice for websites to post audio of what their pipes sound like before you buy them

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_110042.jpg
    IMG_20190328_110042.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 253
I tried "big bore" Norton Commando reproduction mufflers together with 1 1/2" single wall pipes from Heiden Tuning (same as MikesXS sold)
Same thing, a very raspy, tinny sound, Nothing like you would expect. A Norton Commando 850 with the same type mufflers (although for 1 3/8" pipes) sound deep and throaty. Go figure......I ended up cutting those mufflers open at the weld for the reverse cone, and removed the
louvred core using a dremel cutting disc from the inside. The plan is to install a perforated core and some baffle packing, then weld or rivet it back together whenever I have time.

On the other hand, I have 2 Ducatis, a 600/680 and a 944ST2. Both these sound great with straight through 1 1/2" perforated core slip-ons on stock headpipes. Gualdi on the 680 and Termignoni on the 944.
If anything, I would guess the Ducatis open and close the valves quicker than the XS, which should create a harsher sound, but they still sound nice. However, 2-1 exhausts generally sound buzzier on twins, at least on modern Triumphs and Ducatis. Still, a better muffler with enough volume and a not too large core should improve the sound of your bike. Maybe you can find a cheap used Supertrapp muffler?

When looking at the pic of your bike, I noticed another thing. You have fairly small air filters mounted directly on stock CV carbs, but plenty of room behind them. It is definitely possible you could get more HP simply by installing a piece of tubing between filter and carb. A larger (longer) UNI filter may also help.

This company got near 10% more from a SR250 by fitting a tuned intake, and 20% in total when combined with a tuned header and free flowing muffler. An SR250 is not that different from a half XS........
https://www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com/performance-parts

When looking at the pic of your bike, I noticed another thing. You have fairly small air filters mounted directly on stock CV carbs, but plenty of room behind them. It is definitely possible you could get more HP simply by installing a piece of tubing between filter and carb. A larger (longer) UNI filter may also help.

This company got near 10% more from a SR250 by fitting a tuned intake, and 20% in total when combined with a tuned header and free flowing muffler. An SR250 is not that different from a half XS........
https://www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com/performance-parts
Thanks for your reply! I'm sorry to hear that about the commando exhaust, I really like the look of that one. In fact that's kind of the look I want , an old British bike exhaust. Which is the problem with the supertrapp exhaust. They look a little too crotch rocketty. But if they really do sound great and maintain good performance, I wouldn't be too opposed .if I absolutely have to buy a 2 into 2 exhaust to get a better sound I will. I'd be interested in how your exhaust mod sounds when you're finished. I know some people get a better sound by adding fiberglass to their muffler, I have wonder if that would help in my case .

As far as lengthening the air intake on the carbs , I wonder if it would be worth it. I do like the negative space on my bike , but I would sacrifice it if I could get a set up that looks cool and creates a noticeable improvement.

I don't know if it's still available, but MAC used to sell a "competition" straight through glass pack baffle for their mufflers that yielded better flow and a deep, mellow exhaust tone. I used a MAC 2-1 with that baffle for a few years until I got tired of scraping the header in right handers.

Seconding the straight-through muffler suggestion. I had a cherry bomb on a MikesXS/Heiden 2-1 for a while, definitely had the depth. Turned out it was also ear-splitting loud and rang every overpass and tunnel around.
The stock muffler that came with it was a lot more raspy and dry sounding;about what you say yours is like.

Thanks for your reply! I'm sorry to hear that about the commando exhaust, I really like the look of that one. In fact that's kind of the look I want , an old British bike exhaust. Which is the problem with the supertrapp exhaust. They look a little too crotch rocketty. But if they really do sound great and maintain good performance, I wouldn't be too opposed .if I absolutely have to buy a 2 into 2 exhaust to get a better sound I will. I'd be interested in how your exhaust mod sounds when you're finished. I know some people get a better sound by adding fiberglass to their muffler, I have wonder if that would help in my case .

As far as lengthening the air intake on the carbs , I wonder if it would be worth it. I do like the negative space on my bike , but I would sacrifice it if I could get a set up that looks cool and creates a noticeable improvement.

Note that I am referring to mufflers made specifically for Norton Commando 750 and 850, with the long reverse cone at the tail. The "Commando" mufflers as sold by MikesXS, Heiden Tuning, and others for the XS650 has a mechanical baffle, but sounds good according to many users. But those may not fit a 2-1, and may also be too restrictive for that application.
Regarding your air filters, experimenting a bit with some plastic tubing should be cheap. Google "4th harmonic intake", and you will find formulae using cam timing and target rpm to arrive at total inlet length. I guess you would arrive at 10 to 11 inches for a stock xs, measured from intake valve to end of air tube/ velocity stack.

Back