Muffy

Had one of a bike I purchased.... too loud..... gave it away....and be'n old school.. cafe' should have twice pipes.... has a balanced look.

Yes they are harsh loud, I don't think they fit in on the old dears, the metal is very thin and rust "in the box" other than that I like em.

Has anyone used or have a Mac 2 into 1 exhaust system? I would like to have some feedback about this product. I’m building a cafe Bike and I’m looking for a exhaust
Thanks Randy
Hi Randy,
MAC's pipes have a rep for rusting real quick and I too prefer the balanced look of a pipe on each side.
Mind you, if I still lived in the UK the MAC 2 into 1 would sure free up the bike's left side to hang on a sidecar.

I had one on Kijiji for some time with no takers. However, the last rider had exceeded the recommended lean angle.

Attachments

• SAM_6513.JPG
    SAM_6513.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 204
  • SAM_6519.JPG
    SAM_6519.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 200
  • SAM_6517.JPG
    SAM_6517.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 230
Lots of people suggest getting the bike running well with as many stock parts as you have before commencing major changes and then make upgrades one at a time so you know which one did not work.
As far a horsepower goes, if you are looking for strong highway performance, get a modern fuel injected bike and ride it daily. If you are looking for a classic bike that looks good, sounds good and usually gets you to the group ride and back, then you are on the right path.
Upload some pictures so we can focus our advice.

I just picked up this bike last fall. It was a pretty good find but with any 42 year old there are issues. Bad compression, missing parts and aftermarket exhaust with holes which were repaired by brazing the holes and where the mufflers join the pipes brazed again. I have steering head bearings and new swing arm bushings. I’m striving for a nice unique looking reliable ride.

Attachments

• 6C724696-24EA-424A-A704-545BF631A9DE.jpeg
    6C724696-24EA-424A-A704-545BF631A9DE.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 296
That is a great looking bike as it sits. What year is on the ownership? Tins look like 75, but forks may be from a Special as the caliper is in the rear which means you have 35mm forks instead of the 34mm from 75. I am also guessing that the Special that donated the forks also donated the exhaust PO probably brazed the holes from the cross over pipe - all good. Compression may improve as it gets a few tanks of gas through it.
Let the group know what parts you need - many members have spares.

My bike had a mystery 2-1 when I bought it. It looked a lot like the MAC ... could have been one.

It was loud, but not obnoxious loud, especially at idle.

The shorty reverse cone mufflers were louder. The 2-1 was in the middle and the full length reverse cones I have now are the quietest

That is a great looking bike as it sits. What year is on the ownership? Tins look like 75, but forks may be from a Special as the caliper is in the rear which means you have 35mm forks instead of the 34mm from 75. I am also guessing that the Special that donated the forks also donated the exhaust PO probably brazed the holes from the cross over pipe - all good. Compression may improve as it gets a few tanks of gas through it.
Let the group know what parts you need - many members have spares.

The ownership says it is a 1975 and the forks measure 34mm.
I have cleaned up the valve seats,regrounded the valve and lapped them. Cylinders were honed with new rings installed. Swing arm bushings and shaft arrived today as well as steering head bearings and fork springs and seals. Looking forward to getting this on the road.
Contemplating what kind of exhaust to put on. I have a bit of time to ponder this. Too bad there is not a good swap meet happening soon and warm dry twisty roads

Hi Randy, I recently got a Delkevic 2-1 and so far so good. Appears to be of reasonably good quality, stainless steel. Not too loud for a 2-1 either. You can google em for different vendors, customer reviews, and here is one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Race...qid=1519361318&sr=8-2&keywords=delkevic+xs650

There are also a couple YouTube videos of XS650 owners w Delkevic 2-1

That said, Id probably opt for a nice 2-2 if I could go back in time :) and the Yo Mama pipes by Pandemonium look sweet too. Not sure about a Cafe application for em tho..

I looked a little further into the forks and like I thought they are 34mm but what is strange is and you picked it out right away is the location of the caliper. Someone has switched forks for one side to the other and mounted the caliber on the backside and ran the steel brake line around the outside of the fork. Is there a good reason for mounting the caliber on the backside( possibly better handling or braking)? It looks better mounted in front and having the brake line protected behind the fork is the way to go.

I guess I'm old school too in that I think a cafe should have a 2-2 exhaust. The MikesXS Commando system is very nice. I have the Commando mufflers on MAC headpipes .....

8xen8Ef.jpg

The mufflers sound great and performance is better than stock. Another muffler I'd like to try someday are the actual Commando mufflers, peashooters I think they call them .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-Com...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2-1's are known to be difficult to tune for. Most aren't designed with performance in mind, just to fit on the bike. Many scrape in corners as well. Honestly, a 2-2 system is a better choice. Twins perform best with them.

I think a cafe should have tables outside with tablecloths, otherwise it's just another dive. Don't the 2 into 1's have a rep for holing pistons? I think I read that here somewhere back when we were young.

I looked a little further into the forks and like I thought they are 34mm but what is strange is and you picked it out right away is the location of the caliper. Someone has switched forks for one side to the other and mounted the caliber on the backside and ran the steel brake line around the outside of the fork. Is there a good reason for mounting the caliber on the backside( possibly better handling or braking)? It looks better mounted in front and having the brake line protected behind the fork is the way to go.

I did the same fork swap, side to side, and moved my caliper to right side/rear. My reason was to do away with the steel brake line and only use one brake hose. After these early disc brakes the calipers were mounted rearwards on newer bikes. I will drill away the flare fitting inside the caliper and cut a banjo bolt to fit the brake line to the caliper. Haven't measured for the banjo bolt length yet, maybe it doesn't need cut, either way, there's plenty of threads in the caliper for this to work.

Oh yeah, the axle is also reversed for this change.

Scott

EDIT, KEEP THIS IN MIND. There are no longer any dogs on the left side fork to place the speedometer drive in the right place, this must be done without the dogs whenever tightening the front axle from now on, no BFD.

Last edited:
Back