1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Musical instruments (any)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RustiePyles, Oct 11, 2021.

1. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Any and all musical instrument related talk is welcome here. Lets see those Guitars, banjos, basses, amps!
    @Rhy650 I'd love to know some more about that amp!

jetmechmarty and Jim like this.
  2. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty Project collector XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

[​IMG]
    It has been a couple years, but playing in the big band was a real blast! The only amp was for the vocalist.

Rhy650, GLJ, madmax-im and 4 others like this.
  3. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Sweden
    All Right Looking sharp
    The Only question that arises now ..was it Duke Ellington's or Count Basie s orchestra

RustiePyles and jetmechmarty like this.
  4. jetmechmarty

The Southern Aires of Peachtree City, GA.

Jan_P, Mailman and RustiePyles like this.
  5. RustiePyles

This banjo belonged to my grandfather, it languished in a basement for some 40+ years in totally unplayable shape. I re-fretted it and straightened the neck. It was an awful lot of work for an uber-cheap 1950’s made in Japan no name Banjo. It sounds ehh-ok for an open back now, lends itself to frailing/claw hammer old timey banjo.
    5D232F55-6AA5-4113-83C7-8709AA883A64.jpeg A1AFBEDE-FF91-469E-AC91-AB09C92125E8.jpeg 4BF7DBE2-0B89-464A-BA1B-692C2DA6128D.jpeg 3D058B85-3982-429E-A55A-A6B719A8AAC5.jpeg 7ACA44C1-2BF4-40A3-BB2C-C34EBDD1428F.jpeg

Mailman, Rhy650, Jan_P and 2 others like this.
  6. RustiePyles

What kind of music were you guys playing? Big band standards, jazz, classical?

Adamc likes this.
  7. jetmechmarty

Mostly big band standards, yes. Great fun!

Adamc, madmax-im and RustiePyles like this.
  8. RustiePyles

Here's a Strat I had for quite a long time. It went trough several iterations, I finally settled on Tone Rider vintage 60's pickups and the tortoise shell pickguard you see in the picture. It also had a GFS steel trem block and alpha pots. The amp (head) is a Music Man (Leo Fender after he sold Fender to CBS) HD-130 that my wife picked up at a garage sale for $25 because it "didn't work". I replaced the output transformer and got it working. It was a true beast of an amp at 130W RMS. More amp than anyone really needs these days. I sold it for a pretty healthy profit.
    amp (2).jpg

Mailman, Jan_P, Adamc and 2 others like this.
  9. RustiePyles

Here’s my old Ampeg V4 100W monster, that thing oozed 70’s British rock tone. Plug a Tele tuned to open G in and bang away would put you Stones/Faces territory pretty quick. The Harmony was an H415, a pretty rare little amp with an odd configuration. It was 15w with 2x12s. Unreal natural breakup at human volumes with a big heady open sound. I did extensive work on both to get them playing again.
    2CF50510-2FAB-4DED-91AC-0422CAFF07C5.jpeg E6DA37A0-737A-4D4F-9A0E-4FD2B56EE314.jpeg

Mailman, Jan_P, Adamc and 3 others like this.
  10. Rhy650

Rhy650 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hey @RustiePyles, I have been digging through some old files/papers, but could not really find much on that amp. I believe you are right, it is based off of a Marshall circuit. I know that each of the cabs have a 12" Celestion Greenback speaker. I guess I will have to take it apart one of these days to get better acquainted with it (shucks... :)).

11. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    I had some guitar`s once but sold them to buy my Allante.:shrug:
    Guitars 003.JPG

RustiePyles, Mailman, Jan_P and 3 others like this.
  12. RustiePyles

Whats that lap steel in the background? Looks like an old fender...

Adamc likes this.
  13. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

I played the drums for about 10 years or so until i got married and we moved into a small apartment. Gave em to my nephew. I tried in electric kit and they are lame. We bought some property a few years back and once the workshop goes in this next year all get another kit set up. In the mean time I’ve been working at the B/C button box. Started a few years ago, took some time off, forgot all I knew but I’m back in the swing of it. Super basic box, but good to learn on.

playing the drums I never had to read music (at least not with notes) and it’s been a bit of a challenge. Like a new language but it opens the mind and a challenge to learn something new.
    056860B1-D96D-4468-B7DE-DFB802BB7A96.jpeg

Adamc, Mailman, Jim and 2 others like this.