Very good ideas! Yes I had intended to do the "Western Union " splices.
And I like the idea of the slings. I see what you're saying about the sagging looms. I've got those too.
Give me a little time and I'll have her good as new!

Well I solved one riddle, the wiring extensions were only on the two wiring bundles from the handlebar controls. I believe that early on, the first owner put a set of Triumph style buckhorn bars, which was a popular thing to do at the time. I removed all this.
IMG_4776.JPG

On all of the bullit connectors , he made little plug in jumpers that were easy to remove. On the multiplug cables, he soldered in an extension that will be more work to repair.
So that brings me to this.
IMG_4779.JPG

My God! How do they fit all that crap in that shallow little bucket? No fewer than eight separate wiring bundles enter through just one hole on top of the bucket and then the two large looms coming in through separate holes in the bottom.
This pic is just the wires that go in through the hole in the top!
IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

I have a printed out diagram of the wiring in the headlight bucket, but just to be safe I labeled every wire that wasn't unique. A lot of the same colors repeat themselves in multiple connections. And I am electrically challenged anyway, so hopefully this will save me some grief.
Now I'm wondering, ( mission creep again ) gee, I already have all this off, maybe it would be a good time to replace my steering head bearings. I just might , but I have limited time on the weekends. This might just run a few weeks.
First things first. I've got a lot of wiring to repair.
Until next time
Bob

You can reroute some of those upper looms into the bottom two holes. On mine, I moved the two biggest ones down, the ones from each handlebar switch. Space between the front of the upper tree and the instruments is very limited so I also routed the switch looms around the backside of the upper tree. This also gave pretty much a straight shot into those lower bucket holes .....

MountedOff.jpg

76C is the worst year for the gauge loom.......

From the 76C Assembly manual........I haven't checked the bucket loom diagram for mistakes.....worth a consideration if things aren't matching

76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt19 19.jpg 76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt28 28.jpg 76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt27 27.jpg

What can be achieved........Bought a Mikes XS headlight with the park light option. Had to take the rear rubber off to get the light to sit far enough into the bucket.

text Copy of DSCF7015.jpg

5 Twins,
That's a good idea on the wiring routing. You're right everything was jammed up so tight under the instrument cluster that the wires wore a groove in the plastic instrument housing.

650Skull,
Those are such good diagrams, that I have them printed up and lying on my workbench.
The guy that messed with the wiring really confused me at first colored wires were going in one side of a connector one color and coming out the other side a different color. Then I realized he made all these jumper extensions from non factory colored wire.
Got rid of those and the factory wires just plugged back into each other and were right.

Last edited:
I couldn't stop for the day. I pulled the gauge cluster and instruments off and have them on the bench to go over. I also pulled the left handlebar control off and took it to the bench to solder the multi plug back on where it belongs without all that extension.
IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

The more stuff I take off of the front , the more I think I should just go ahead and knock out those steering head bearings. Man I wish I was retired so I could spend some serious time on this. Haha!
Oh well, I wanted a hobby!
Later, Bob

Mmailman, I Thought you may have had them...........Alls well, some one else reading your thread may have a use for them.....gets my post count up:D

Way to go Bob ! You are really digging in again. I'm procrastinating lol.. Hey, since you like to do even more than you have time for ? Being a chrome junkie , I replaced my gauge buckets with "Special"chrome ones. Also, I've routed my clutch cable not thru the gauge area but more left, behind the speedo cable looping to the right of the steering stem. This is a nice big radius bend that does not pull tight with the steering full lock either way. Just something nice to think over. Have fun !
20170509_110307.jpg

Mailman, you are an inspiration!! Your whole restoration has provided such a wealth of info, excellent photos and intelligent questions and responses that I almost feel guilty just following along in your wake. Almost! Soon as I sort out the back brake and bars I'm installing a new harness and headlight. I feel a damn sight more confident tackling the job after viewing your thread and checking Skull diagrams and Twins' suggestions. Excellent gentlemen! Do the bearings please! Then maybe the turn signals. Then the front brake. Then the.........

Thanks David, I'm really just learning as I go along , as so many of us are. Believe me when I tell you this stuff is not just natural for me. I read this forum and my manuals until my eyes are bleeding. In my opinion this forum is a far better source of information though. It's real guys working on old bikes, that run into problems that the manuals never covered.
Fixing mistakes that some previous owner did.
Or diagnosing problems that are largely age related. In this forum, you can bet somebody has done it before you and figured out a way around it. I started this thread just for my own amusement, but as I started looking for answers, I thought that maybe I could help somebody else in the future.

Last night I twisted my left knee - simply bumped into something - and it now hurts like fury. When I was about 13, I piled up my right knee and so now I have a matched set. How wonderful!!!

Anyhow, right now, I can hardly walk and so I am just sitting, watching the unfolding dramas/clusterf@cks on CNN and CBC - and thinking about the bigger and smaller issues in life. It has occurred to me that what we are doing on this forum, ladies and gents - and what Mailman has been documenting so well, and what most of the rest of us are doing with varying degrees of success, is sort of a "filtering" process.

Let me explain what I mean by that:
  • MamaYama built our bikes many years ago - and for the most part, they did it very well;
  • Somebody back in the 1970-84 period bought these pretty new bikes, was really proud of them and enjoyed them for a while - largely not changing them;
  • The original set of owners (except for Fred - who has kept his bike for nearly 40 years) then sold the bikes on to a string of one or more individuals, many of whom (perhaps most of whom) were total f@ck-ups who often did the most stupid things to these once beautiful old bikes - and we've all marveled at how foolish, destructive and/or neglectful these "intermediate" owners have been (and it really is remarkable how dumb some of these folks were);
  • Now, people like us are digging these old bikes out of barns, ditches, dusty garages and prying them out of the hands of people who generally don't know what they've got - or simply don't care;
  • A few of us "chop" the bikes into something quite bizarre, sometime creating motorcycles that are less comfortable, less safe and less capable than they were 40-odd years ago;
  • Some of us work very hard and spend lavishly to bring them right back to where they were when they were shipped overseas from Japan in the 1970-84 timeframe; and,
  • Most of us restore them while keeping them looking mostly the same as they were originally, but we make important improvements that make these great old machines even better than when they were built (with better ignitions, charging systems, chassis bearings, tires, brakes etc.);
  • I must admit, I am not quite sure what the members of the first group (the "choppers" ) are trying to create - but I guess it has meaning to them.
  • The folks in the last two groups (the "original" types and the "improvers") who, thankfully, form the majority of the modern XS650 community, are basically filtering out the bad things that have happened to the XS650 bike population over the years and re-creating what Yamaha had in mind in the late 1960s when they designed the XS1: a simple, safe, reliable and pretty motorcycle that was enjoyable to ride.
....and it is working.

One by one, we are creating some really nice motorcycles that are safe, reliable and fun - and it is a good thing in my view. I suppose someday, there won't be any more XS650s that haven't been chopped, improved or made original again - and then we can just keep riding whatever we've got. And in my view, that is the key point: these "original" and "improved" XS650s, really are great all-around motorcycles.

Riding or driving most "antique" or "classic" vehicles almost always comes with some serious compromises in comfort, safety, reliability or on-road performance and the people who operate those vehicles are aware of those shortcomings and accept them.

However, while the XS650s may not be as fast or have handling quite as sharp as more recent offerings (and who really uses all of those amazing capabilities anyway?), for everyday "ridin' around in the breeze" (as in the song "End of the Line" by the Travelling Wilburys), they are very competitive and in my estimation, they're better than most other bikes or any age or type.

With the improvements most of us are making, they are just as reliable and safe as modern bikes - but they have those beautiful lines and sounds that the modern "blender sounding / transformer look-alikes" simply cannot match. Anyhow, that's how I see it.

Very cool and lots of good fun!

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Pete, I totally agree with all that. I can remember a time not so long ago the XS650's were plentiful and cheap as chips!
Then I think of my own search for a decent survivor, and for months, in the whole state of Arizona, all I could find were hacked up, chopped, bobbed, whatever and I had to buy my bike from out of state. Most all old machinery, cars, motorcycles , whatever from the desert southwest here suffer mostly from dry rot. When I see some of the crusty , corroded messes from the cold Northern areas that are brought back to life, well to me THATS really impressive!
Sorry to hear about your knee, I used to have one that locked up me until I had it fixed. Hopefully yours just needs a little rest!

Yes Mailman, the wiring in the headlight bucket is probably the biggest challenge with these bikes. I'v been sorting and repairing in there more than once. Its just too many wires in too small of a space. If only Yamaha had used a deeper headlight shell, like some of the manufacturers from Europe used. Oh well, no one ever said it was going to be easy to repair old motorcycles!
You're taking your time and doing it right, so you'll have good results.

Mailman, Your restoration / improvement thread has a following of such interested and sincere motorcycle enthusiasts ! I admire the participation of all of us who are seperated my many miles, borders, climate and even ideas ! Yet, we enthusiasts really look to assist each other. This is the only online activity I participate in ! Lol.. We all collectively are saving some of the last and hard to find XS's ! ... Now, Maxpete, take it easy on that knee ! Hell, I can't kick a SR500 any more either ;)

Now, Maxpete, take it easy on that knee ! Hell, I can't kick a SR500 any more either ;)

Thanks TM,
Oh I know, it hell getting old. Haha, I used to love kick starting motorcycles. Soon after I got my bike I wanted to try kick starting it, and I was wearing a pair of heavy boots, but my foot which I broke about a year and a half ago, complained bitterly and I have since resigned myself to using my noisy old electric starter.

Back