Ahhh, you know I actually tried just rocking the bike back and forth a couple of times and it didn’t loosen up, so my little lizard brain said. “ What it needs is a good kick!”

I really need to stop listening to that little lizard brain. It only causes trouble.
052E200E-2FCF-44A7-9CF9-0357CEC257C4.jpeg

You did hit the starter button in gear, the kick starter button. Both the kick starter and the electric starter tie into the crank and spin it while being used. The kicker works through the clutch to get to the crank. The clutch ties into the crank too, spinning it when engaged. If you happen to be in gear with the clutch engaged (on purpose or because the plates are stuck), the bike is going to move forward when using either the kicker or electric start. Now, the electric start doesn't connect to the clutch but if you're spinning the crank with it, that "spin" is going to transmit back into the clutch and spin it too.

You did hit the starter button in gear, the kick starter button. Both the kick starter and the electric starter tie into the crank and spin it while being used. The kicker works through the clutch to get to the crank. The clutch ties into the crank too, spinning it when engaged. If you happen to be in gear with the clutch engaged (on purpose or because the plates are stuck), the bike is going to move forward when using either the kicker or electric start. Now, the electric start doesn't connect to the clutch but if you're spinning the crank with it, that "spin" is going to transmit back into the clutch and spin it too.

I see what you’re saying, I guess I’m just surprised that with the clutch lever pulled in and the pressure taken off of the clutch pack, that fluid tension alone would be enough to propel the bike forward when using the kick start lever.

Well, the kickstart gear engages the countershaft's 1st gear, which drives the mainshaft's 1st gear. The mainshaft is coupled to the clutch hub. So, any kick action will spin the tranny, clutch or no...

From August 3rd 2017, 2M said,

Huh? Are you kicking it while it's in gear?

Can't do that on an XS650.

Must be in neutral to do the kickstart.

And.........

You can't kickstart while it's in gear!

The kickstarter uses the transmission's 1st gearset to drive the clutch. You could completely remove the clutch assembly, and, if in gear, kickstarting WILL rotate the drive sprocket.

Do all your kickstarting while in neutral, ONLY....

And........

What a lot of us do is:

Put trans in neutral.
Pull-in the clutch lever.
Kick until the kicker swings free.
That unsticks the clutch.
Let out the clutch lever.
Kickstart the engine.
Drop it into 1st.
Terrorize the neighborhood...

Sigh.....I sure wish I would’ve read that little thread before today.
2M, 5Twins , Gary, Skull, Grizld1, and the rest of you guys that have been around this forum for a while, do you guys ever feel like ,every day you guys come here and give the same advice to a fresh batch of knuckleheads?
It’s like Groundhog Day, every day around here!
B7DE4639-28D4-462C-8F8F-24ADAA2C6DEE.png

WELL HELL!

This morning sure didn’t go as planned. I’ve done all this maintenance work on my bike the last couple days and I thought I’d reward myself with a nice ride this morning. A couple days ago I changed the oil in my bike with Castrol 20/50 and yesterday after letting my bike warm up, I pulled in the clutch and dropped it into first gear and bang!
The clutch plates were really stuck together and it hammered way too hard for my liking.

So today I thought I’d do what I used to do on my old Triumph and kick it to free the clutch plates. I hadn’t moved my bike yet and I had it nosed into a corner in my garage. With the motor not running, I shifted the transmission into second gear, pulled the clutch in, and kicked the kick starter.

Stupid me! I was not holding the front brake and when I kicked, the bike lurched forward ( even though I was holding the clutch lever in) rolled off the side stand and me and the bike went tumbling over on its left side.
My formerly perfect gas tank landed right on the square edge of my Harbor Freight bike jack and put a nice deep crunch in the tank! AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

View attachment 117602
Damn! I’m not a happy camper.

Hi Mailman,
while I'm sure that getting that nice tank dented was traumatic for you, it can be fixed with puddin'n'paint to look as good as new.
Try letting your 1952 BSA twin drop against a steel fence post and getting a big ugly dent in it's nice chrome gas tank.
Just had to live with it.

Mailman, shame about the dent no one likes their bike being damaged. It does show that you use your bike and as such it head and shoulders above all the show bikes and trailer queens.

Accept the dent as part of the bikes history with you.

In the future if you decide to fix the dent it that too will also be part of your travels together.

I do enjoy your posts of your travels around Arizona keep them coming.

Put in first gear, stand up, stradling the bike, pull the clutch in, and push/pull the bike back and forwards until it frees.

Awwwwww.....sh!t. Goddammit - I am so sorry to see this Bob. You have worked so carefully and been so thorough - you have become a model for all of us in how to do things PERFECTLY....and now this.

I got back from my Ohio ST Owners trip and left immediately for a conference in Toronto at which I had a major knee-fail and so I have been off the web and trying to figure out how to walk the 300 feet to my car in the parking garage - so I missed this.

Well, my guess is that there is someone around Phoenix who can pull that dent and do a bit of a re-paint on "My 60th" - and so if I were you, I'd stop talking about it, pull the tank and get it fixed.....chop-chop

Dammit.

Thanks Pete, it’ll get fixed and life will go on. Haha!

So sorry to hear about your knee. Man, you’re overdue to get that puppy fixed!

Well, as noted above, I was away on an ST Owners weekend (fun!!) and then left immediately for a two-day conference in Toronto. THAT is where my knee suddenly blew up - not pretty. I have to hobble about 3/4 mile from the Metro Toronto Conv. Centre to Union Station to catch a subway to my hotel and then had about a 300 yard walk to the hotel. By the time I got there - I wanted to curl up and die. Its much better today though - so I will be OK till I see the ortho.

Cheers,

Pete

Today I decided to install a top case on my bike. It’s one I’ve had for quite a while, bought it when I was commuting to work, then swapped in a monster , holds everything trunk and this one went into storage. I know this is not everyone’s taste, so haters look away!

I used to have a little Nelson-Riggs tail pack on my luggage rack, but it was getting faded and floppy ( like me :D ).
This is made by Kappa , a subsidiary of Givi and a less expensive sibling. It is small, 26 liters, it will hold one full size helmet and that’s about all, but I don’t use it for that. For me it’s for gloves, hat, ear plugs, and sometimes my IPad when I’m running to the coffee shop. I like that it locks, it’s no wider than my luggage rack and it releases and comes off with the push of a button. It’s as handy as a pocket in your pants. There are no lights in this so no wiring necessary. This particular model is no longer available, but they still make similar ones, and there are some downright cheap ones available on eBay. So here it is.
7AAC40B0-83A8-4EAD-84CD-F5D80CB5FF8A.jpeg
799CC19C-2675-404B-9DBB-2D139FFAA912.jpeg
835990B5-474B-4096-A5AF-756A44F3BF5C.jpeg
D3C27CED-CD56-40C9-BD1A-D4C435BD7132.jpeg
474302B9-2CF1-4D22-B17A-4E14F02F8E9C.jpeg
D929E94A-4702-4EB0-89F0-C53F24B43DDA.jpeg

Between the windshield and the trunk , it transforms the bike into a really versatile and useful around town bike.
Perfect for running to the hardware store or coffee shop.

Looks good Bob - very practical.

BTW - I’ve got a 46 litre Givi box on my ST1300 and it looks just like that. If you want to put lights on it, check out Admore Lighting (based in Calgary AB). Very good quality and they make a lot for the GIVI boxes.

Cheers,

Pete

Back