my 74 disaster project

zievry

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
its like this, i keep having problems with the project, put way too much money into it, its not done and i finally just got a title after 3 years. i haven't even been able to work on it in two. so yea its a disaster project.

but i love the styling and the size of the bike. so now that i can start working on it again, back to the old problems lol.

i found a rolling chassis in a local boneyard and really liked it. so i bought it for the $100 and took it home. after researching my ass off because the sticker was ripped in half i finally figured out what the bike was. 74 xs650. liked the pics i saw and all, but i needed an engine. 6 months later i finally call a place i ran across on ebay. the guy i had to deal with was a fucking idiot. i hope that is not the usual there but i'd never do business with them again.

well the engine was frozen solid, after a month of soaking with wd-40 at a friends suggestion it wasn't any looser. so i tried coke and it came lose in 2 days, by now it was the middle of december months after i bought the engine.... #@$%# (the same friend cracked a piston before trying the coke)

turned out the top half was garbage, short of some very careful work to remove the locked open exhaust valve and all the clean up and such it wasn't worth it, not to mention the jugs. so i ran across a really good deal on shaftbay and got a top end with 1st overbore (was told it was stock) one of the spark plug holes had a steel insert the wrong size in it the tappet adjusters where all pitted, grrr. at least the cam and adjusters where good from the other head.

so i got rings and a gasket/seal set, 5th overdrive and a starter gear since i'd be using it a lot and picked up pamco ignition. the bs38's i got where very dirty but i think they cleaned up ok, but one of the sliders is sticky, imagine that. also the finned type oil filter kit and put the motor together. i found after all that time there was one bearing sicky, omg! why? well it was coke and i cleaned the hell outta it but it never spun as well as the others so i was kinda concerned, engine went together anyway.

no less than 4 candidates for rear wheels later sigh, i am wondering about just using a front wheel on the back i really want disk brakes. front end went to 35mm and dual calipers, 76 gauge pod. started with maxim 1100 wheels, but the front is the one that i've kept. right now i have a seca 750 rear but its got a huge drum >.< the wheel is the right size 18".

one thing i did get lucky on, it had an aftermarket dual bucket seat, this is defiantly not a standard seat with the conversion on it, the pan is different. i got a banshee rotor and honda something stator and matching rectifier, some one i know is going to fab up the adapter plate when he gets time.

its been very aggravating, but i like the bike, i like smaller bikes and this just has all the right style. it seems to hate be though. oh i remember picking up one of the mufflers and having a mountain of soot and almond shells fall out, lol. i kinda want 2 to 1 exhaust on it, well see.

i wanna also put on braided brake lines, hydraulic clutch, hopefully with the slave hidden inside the cover, mimic or get ahold of (pretty much impossible) xs1 style side covers, fab up a side stand and yes paint it, once its all mechanically and electrically finished. (if that ever happens, lol)

maybe i should stick to modding trucks i'm much better in that department.

shit, tell me about it man. The 78 motor im doing now had nothing good inside....nothing. :laugh: labour of love.:thumbsup:

plus the ebay crank that was "in great condition" with completely damaged small ends from a punch.

some pics of the bike, i didn't have a photo host b4
I've since replaced the rear wheel with a spiral mag

bikel.jpg

biker.jpg

rear.jpg

tripod.jpg

frntwheel.jpg

Well at least its a cheaper hobby than some of our friends. I got buddies who drag race and motocross and those guys drop some serious bank on the toys they are playing with.

Is that just a mock-up of your front wheel? The axle doesn't look like it fits properly. Also, the Seca 750 is a shaft drive, so you might have the rear wheel from a Seca 400,which uses a 37 or so tooth rear sprocket, so when you get the bike roadworthy you'll probably want a sprocket with less teeth. Keep at it, you'll get there.:thumbsup:

one more reason 74's shouldn't be bobbed or chopped, you just don't mess with perfection..... that front fork, fender, instrument cluster isn't a 74

Nowhere to go but up! But, that's the fun part, right?... :thumbsup:

Have a vision, put a plan together, have patience, and you'll get it where you want it in time.

Rich

cool stuff man, just stick with it, its all worth it.

and the 5th gear overdrive doesnt work in the 74 motor. thats for 78-and on. unless you know something that i dont about them, which may be true.

I have a 74 as well, purchased new when I was a kid, in process of collecting stock parts to rebuild it and hide the sins of my youth. The instrument cluster looks stock to me, if you not wanting it I would be interested as well as the stock pipes if they still have the cores. how did you rebuild the carbs, know hwere I could buy a kit?

nick 74

the engine is out of an 80 so that's why the 5th gear bit works. front axle fits fine, i just hadn't tightened it up. no the gauge cluster is from a 76 not 74. the baffles are still in the mufflers if that's what you're referring to. i got carb kits for bs38 from mikesxs.com. I'd sell you this set if your interested. as for exhaust i'm not sure what to do because after reading about how exhaust works somewhere larger does matter when making things quieter. I want the bike to be quiet but the stock mufflers get in the way of what i wanna do in the back. yes seca 750 it does have a spline, i expected to make an adapter to attach a sprocket but since i changed my mind again the wheel is now for sale. I'm using a second wheel like the one shown on the front of this bike for the rear and will need a different adapter made.

also i'm wondering if i lock the rear axle in one placement on the swingarm and use one of those chain tensioners from monstercrafsman.com would the swinging affect from the suspension mess with the tensioner?

in the early days of long travel dirt bike suspension people put longer shocks on their older short travel bikes which created chain issues... there were chain tensioners on the market which did the trick... I made my own... the current ones being offered by advertisers on this forum look well up to the task for swingarm applications, not just rigids

Hey there,

Do you still have the spoked rear wheel & drum brake? I'd be interested in that drum brake & hub if you still have it & want to sell it.

Message me if you're interested in selling!

Thanks!
David

All I can say about your dilemma is the same I would say to someone looking for an XS650 for a first bike. Find one thsat is complete, runs and drives with no serious noises. A good title is a must, to much hassle getting one.
Your this far into the project and I doubt you will get your money back if you sell it. I would just keep it and do thimng that won't cost much or free till I could afford to spend money on it.
It won't take up much storage space or cost anything to keep. The brest you could do to sell it is lose money.
That's my advice, it's your bike.
Leo

Back