My '75/'78 combo bike project

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Last July, I went with my Dad to pick up a frame and some parts for his bobber project. Included in the purchase was a 1975 XS650B.
It was stored at my house for a while and the longer I looked at it, the more I just KNEW I had to save it.
There were a few minor problems....it didn't have a title, the engine was stuck and Dad would still need miscellaneous parts for his bobber project.
Here's the '75, sitting in the garage out back, winning my heart.
P7030103Small.jpg

So I did what any completely (in)sane XS650 owner would do. I bought yet ANOTHER bike; this one a running, titled '78.
P7090008Small.jpg

As of today, they're both stripped down to skeletal looking remnants of their former selves. My plan is to use the (titled) frame and engine of the '78 and transfer all the '75 specific parts over.
I've collected many of the rare or special parts for the XS650B, including a nice stock exhaust system.
newexhaust.jpg

I also have a decal set, two good "shouldered" rims to work with, early style gas cap, a very nice master cylinder and wheel cylinder, some mirrors, lights, etc.
Basically, most of the hard to find or expensive stuff.

When stripping down the '75, I found this hole on the left side cover. It appears to perfect to be a home-made job. There was a breather hose from the engine routed down to it.
I'm told by one or two other people that their '75 had the same hole. Maybe a factory experiment at a breather/chain oiler?
PA130003Small.jpg

PA130004Small.jpg

Today, I was seriously questioning my sanity....
I was tearing down the front end of the '75 and was reminded of the rats nest of wiring in the headlight bucket.
I REALLY want to use the '75 controls, gauges, handle bars (with hidden wiring) and brake master cylinder on the '78 frame.
I know that, with a good wiring diagram and some splices, anything is possible....but am I in over my head when it comes to integrating the '75 stuff into the '78 harness?

One question is about the front brake switch. Will I be able to adapt the wiring on the '78 to work with the pressure switch from the '75?
Are replacement switches available if this one is no good?
P2170205Small.jpg

I'm not scared of the mechanical stuff. I'm not scared of the cosmetic stuff or detail work. I've already got a line on a match for the Star Black paint and a good painter lined up.
I just hope I can meld the two bikes together and make one sweet ride. You can't deny the looks of the '75 XS650B!
One for inspiration:
Yamaha-XS650B-1975.jpg

That 75 is a nice looking bike. To bad the engine is locked. When you take it apart it may not be as bad as you think. Nice to see you save it.

That switch should just unscrew. You can buy replacments. Should be common to alot of bikes

Brake pressure switch works the same as the normal type switch, so wire it in the same way, no problem :cheers:

I can't see you having too many dramas with the wiring. You could always swap the harness as well if needed (or buy a new '75 harness from Mikes). Though there can't be that much between the two, surely!

Look forward to your progress, your other bikes look great! I'm sure another great build is just around the corner! :cheers:

Man I am soooo liking all you guys doing restos and partials.....:thumbsup: Absolutely brilliant score on those mufflers :bike:

Got a little bit of work done recently. I sold my other two XS's, so it's time to get hopping on this project!
I polished up a bunch of bits and pieces. It's amazing how well this old chrome will clean up with just a little elbow grease.
P3170009Small.jpg

Drug the '78 frame out of the corner of the garage and pulled the engine. Spent a little time degreasing the engine in preparation for some fresh gaskets, paint and polish detail.
P3170010Small.jpg

P3170012Small.jpg

Nice work on the fender's & signal's. Those case's look like mine, all stained & shit. They will come clean, just a whole lot of good old 'elbow grease'.

Well, I got the engine painted and dropped it off at my local shop for some fresh gaskets and such. I'm also replacing the head since it had some broken fins. Very minor, but I had a good head with good fins and I want this thing to be really nice.
I also degreased the frame and gave it a quick coat of paint. Started installing some chrome bits.
P3270040Small.jpg

I also cleaned up the wheels and gave them a quick polish. There's some oxidation and scuffs on both wheels that I don't think I can do too much with. I plan on giving the outer lips one more spin on the buffing wheel. MAN, those things get HEAVY when you're holding them up to the buffer!
P3270042Small.jpg

P3270043Small.jpg

I wasn't happy with the inner part of the rims so I had a friend bead blast them for me. I clear coated the inner part and polished the lips some more. Looks much better now. I also had the forks polished and changed the oil in them.
Front and rear brakes have also been rebuilt. New wheel bearings installed.
P7280022Small.jpg

Got the engine back together and into the frame. Lots of polished bits, paint detail, fresh gaskets, new pistons/rings, lapped the valves, etc., etc.
P7280021Small.jpg

Won't be long now!
I still have some wiring to sort. I should have the tin back from paint in a week or two. Still need to install the Pamco ignition. Minor stuff that takes a lot of time, ya know?
P7280020Small.jpg

Back