My '75/'78 combo bike project

Looking good. I like the 75 myself. I think the black tank with the white ang gold striping was the best looking of all the years.

I should have the tank and side covers back from the painter this coming week. Getting closer all the time...
I still have that wiring to sort out. Not looking forward to that, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Well, it's almost a month later and STILL no tank and side covers. I hate paint jail. The only upside is that I KNOW they'll be amazing when he's done.

On a brighter note, got the bike all wired up, the Pamco installed and she fired on the first touch of the button!
I'm still adjusting the clutch juuuuuust right (mild slipping, but the clutch is brand new. Just gotta get it in that sweet spot). I have a couple of drips off of a couple of the acorn nuts on the bottom of the engine. Nothing some new crush washers shouldn't fix.
I also have a mild leak on the head. I thought it was a valve cover but just discovered it's the bolt for the oil return line. Just need to remove the tank and tighten them up.

All in all, so far so good. Stay tuned!

Well, this sucks....really, REALLY sucks. I was tightening the banjo bolts on the oil return line and the head of the bolt on the left side snapped right off. SH!T !!!

I need to remove the top motor mount and get the oil return line off. Since the head is off the bolt, it should back out easily, right? There's some of the threaded portion of the bolt left sticking up into the return line.

That oil line isn't a return line. It is the oil feed for the rocker arms and valves.
Yes, the remainder of the bolt should come out ok.
Generally when you have a leak on the line at the head, the copper washers are too hard. The banjo bolts that hold the line to the head have a copper washer between the head and line and one between the line and the head of the bolt.
The same as the banjo bolts in the brake system.

Both copper washers were there on both sides. Oil feed, oil return....my bad.
The bolt broke at the hole and left a notch. I was able to take a big screwdriver and use that notch to back it out. I should be getting another bolt from a friend tomorrow.

Wow, 4 1/2 months since an update!
But...I FINALLY got the tank and side covers back from paint jail. They look great! It is nerve racking to clear out the paint from the holes to mount the latch and cap, etc.
P1190062Small.jpg

P1190059Small.jpg

WOW. That paint looks great. You mind if I ask where you sent it off to. I have a 75 that needs a new set of clothes also. Did you send the decals or were they able to save the old. Never mind I see that you said you had decals. Looks sweet.

A good friend of mine owns/runs a bodyshop here in town. He did it for me and installed the decals I got from Reproduction Decals. The decals were a B!TCH and did NOT go on easily. It's not a job for an amateur. A more simple stripe, maybe.... but these were complicated.
I'm waiting on a gas cap gasket and I can finish it up and get it on the bike.

nice work. My 74 wears almost the same scheme thanks to a new tank from mikes. :) Glad to see some good ole fashion restomodding and flat out restoring. The standards were a good looking bike in stock trim.

I still have a few things to do: Change out some clutch springs, do the fork seals, fiddle with the gauges, etc.
Hopefully, I'll have all that done by Spring and can get it registered and on the road soon.

Very well done, you can't tell it's a 78.
It looks much better than my 75, except for the tank and sidecovers mine looks more like a 79.

WOW, nice 78 Scott! That thing is absolutely beautiful. It's nice to know there is another XS650 running around Rock Hill. I thought for sure I was the only one with a XS650, they are quite rare around here.

Back