My 79' Brat build

T-mess

Yeah Dude
Reaction score
I started off buying a 1979 xs650 bike off the old craigslist ($900 kicks over with 1 kick). I first noticed the motor was a 1970 xs1. The bike was a cafe-ish style, but I really liked the brat/bobber style bike. I spent a lot of time looking at brat style bikes from Japan. I shopped around for a shop to help with the fab work. This needed to be a somewhat budget build. I looked at G&L Choppers in CO Springs and Boyd Motor Company in Loveland. G&L was backed up on work and prices were comparable. I knew Boyd's work from past projects and it is top notch so that is where the bike ended up.

My fist time really owning a bike or let alone building one. (here goes nothing and going broke!

Attachments

• DSCN0198.jpg
    DSCN0198.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 526
  • DSCN3859.JPG
    DSCN3859.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 443
  • boyd.jpg
    boyd.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Did some research on what I wanted the bike to look like and found these as a building point.

Attachments

• 650xs.jpg
    650xs.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 780
  • RIMG2239.jpg
    RIMG2239.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 914
  • Copy of RonShoemaker1.jpg
    Copy of RonShoemaker1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 820
Started buying parts as of last spring.

Model A tail light- ebay
sportster peanut tank- ebay (had it re-tunneled)
5 3/4" halogen head light- ebay
3/4 faced helmet (Fulmer V2 DOT) and had it painted at oldschoolhelmets (copper leaf) www.digthelid.com
Clear bubble face shield--Justified Defiance
Drag specialties mini speedo and ignition-(tri-city cycles)
moto-flat track bars (tri-city)
builtwell gloves (Lowbrow customs)
vintage style 7/8" grips and throttal set from lowbrowcustoms
4" round mirror -lowbrow
gasket and seal kit/ wheel and neck barrings- tri-city cycles
gas cap- tri-city cycles
turn sigs- ebay
traded parts for different parts
rest was fabbed

and started selling the pieces off the bike I didn't want.

Attachments

• DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
New rear end lowered just about 2 3/4"
Push rear shocks inward.
We decided to use the stock rear shocks because I was having trouble finding shorter ones like 11" without spending a big piece of change.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 573
  • rea1.jpg
    rea1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 545
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 615
I added a solo seat and reworked the stock front fender to the rear. I
will work with my brother in-law to cover the seat & tool it. He builds custom saddles and said a seat should be easy. Thinking about a Day of The Dead themed seat.
Boyd also had to rework the tank for it to sit lower, so it was retunneled.

Attachments

• solo.jpg
    solo.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 621
  • solo1.jpg
    solo1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Next came time to shave off any unused brackets on the front forks and lower them to match the rear end.

Attachments

• lowered fnt.jpg
    lowered fnt.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 448
  • bike lowered.jpg
    bike lowered.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 754
I wanted to add very small turn sigs and added some bars as mock ups, the ones pictured may not be used, and if I decide too; I need to cut them down. found some thumb controls I wanted to use, so Boyd's going to fab his own.

Attachments

• with light.jpg
    with light.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 479
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 498
  • rear3.jpg
    rear3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 481
  • killswitch.jpg
    killswitch.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 514
The bike is getting close now. Still need to add the ignition under the seat and powder coat and paint. I bought a bunch of stuff to start polishing the case and various pieces. Josh at oldschoolhelmets said he could do the paint and leaf work for the fender and tank.
I decided the tank, rear fender, and head light bucket will be painted a candy rootbeer with copper leaf with an ivory pinstripe to break the leaf and paint. For the frame I am powder coating it dark chocolate brown and having the rims de-laced and power coated 50% gloss black.

pics are of color and design ideas. (Kilby Deuce is tank color I like. The leaf design on the other bike)

Attachments

• rootbeer.jpg
    rootbeer.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 897
  • 650xs.jpg
    650xs.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Finally going to strip the bike down for for paint and powder coating. Excited to see this project done and put some miles on it.

Turn sigs I did the same thing, but flipped to the left side of the bars. Ebay searched for mini signals and found what I wanted. I ditched the chrome though and had the housings for them power coated with the frame a chocolate brown. The controls on the bars will be slightly different as far as toggles and button. I will post pics when I get them on the bars.

tyler

Last edited:
I like that fact that you used the stock shocks. Do you have any shots of how you did the lower shock mounts?

Very cool build!

What's up with the shovel in the backround!? Generator? What spring is on it?

Posted via Mobile

Back