My 79' Street Tracker Build?

westonboege

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys. Picked up this bike a few years ago and have been riding it while slowly working on it... Decided this winter to tear it down and strip the frame.

Im a big fan of the wrenchmonkees stuff. But I guess im going with a clean kind of street tracker style. Picked up a motor from Thomas Racing bored to 750 cc, 3-angle valve job, and a welded crank. Just getting some final painting done and some new tires mounted....

Got a blog going of the build, it would be cool to hear what you guys think so far.... should be coming together in the next couple of weeks... Then ill be ready to fire it up for the first time..

http://counterbalancecycles.blogspot.com/

Yami+008.jpg

Yami+006.jpg

YAMI+001.jpg

Yami+102.jpg

Got one of those $1700 motors eh? Love to hear some feedback on that. Should be able to buy 2 complete runners fro that money.

There are a few more pics on the blog... but im interested to see what the motors like. Should be pretty quick, but i wanted to build a reliable bike that i wouldnt be afraid to go on long trips on etc... instead of buying a newer bike.... I had a hell of a time dealing with Thomas Racing though... said it would take 3 weeks, and took 4 or 5 months... blah blah blah... hopefully its worth it...

Mags are gonna be black... right now they are painted some warm grey color...

Some more pictures... painted the tank and fender kind of a root beer metallic color... looks pretty orange in these pictures... have to see what it looks like in decent light...

Yami+104.jpg

Yami+108.jpg

Seat+02.jpg

Seat+05.jpg

This is build is gonna be sweet. Can't wait to see it all together.

I checked out your blog and was wondering what kind of gauge metal are you using for the seat pans? I whipped something up with 16g but felt it was too thin...

i used 14ga steel for the pan, seemed a little thin, but i notched it or made a pocket into the seat pan to let the fender tuck up underneath. Doing that added alot of strength...

It will sit directly on the subframe, no need for a plastic seat unit....

Got into the shop again today. Finished clearing the tank. Got started on running the brake lines. Started painting more parts... I need to stop huffin paint... heh

Yami+208.jpg

Yami+206.jpg

Yami+207.jpg

Yami+201.jpg

Yami+203.jpg

Yami+205.jpg

Yami+204.jpg

Yami+202.jpg

Yami+209.jpg

Yeah they are the pipes from mikes... the xs engineering ones.... They look good.... im debating whether to wrap them or not... heh... Nothing like ruining brand new chrome...

how much time do you spend cleaning your garage before taking the pictures? :laugh:

wish i could keep my garage that clean

i'm loving the build so far, and the paint jobs looks pretty sweet, really looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

i vote to wrap the exhaust, aftermarket chrome is mostly garbage anyway...

I actually just got a workspace a few weeks ago to start(finish) this project in. I have a few more projects lined up a little later so i figured i would rent a space and get some stuff done. Should be getting a 70s triumph bonneville 650 hardtail in a few weeks... rolling chassis... just need to find a motor...

But the frame is just painted. Figured i would save a little money...

Im probably gonna wrap the exhaust... I like my bikes a little dirty and not so flashy... not a chrome guy..

Last edited:
Got into the shop again today and gave the tank one last coat of clear... Started prepping the brake to paint as well. Took a few more pictures of the finished tank tonight...

Yami+210.jpg

Yami+211.jpg

Yami+212.jpg

Yami+214.jpg

Nice job.You have the same exhaust I have.Nice sound but the ground clearance sucks.I use my Xs650 on the racetrack only(speed track).The lower right side of the exhaust scraped the ground so bad that the lower Y section exhaust bolt was totaly grinded after few laps.

Back