My '80 xs650 engine rebuild

i think you leave the brackets that hold the very top of engine to the frame on.
i.e. you'd put them back on. Gives you another place to attach to. I think!

Get a tow hook. Run a bolt through the top motor mount hole with the hook to the outside.

You can get a tow strap from Harbor Freight or Home Depot/Lowes from between $6-$20 depending on where you go. Its usually Yellow

I've seen those... but I think it's more something that attaches to the top engine mount that I had in mind. Not sure how the strap would specifically attach itself to the engine other than sort of cradle it, or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

steve thats awesome.... I am in cleaning and polishing limbo right now! jeez everything is so messed up... its like life after people should have done a show on my bike...
30 years of sitting inside and holy cow, everything is so trashed... I have to clean, brush, and polish everything,

I am so envious that you can walk out and hit your starter, and now you have 2 engines
!

hey now... it hasn't *started* so don't get too too excited yet :) I actually had an anxiety dream last night that I put on a replacement rotor that wasn't meant for the TCI. So, remind me if when I go to start this puppy up I get no spark to check the rotor.

Had a nice morning of me time. Here's where I be:

I've tried a couple of things to make the hoist block move when the engine is hanging. The plastic-covered cable just digs in. Adding grease to the bar only makes a greasy bar with a hoist block that won't budge when an engine is hanging from it.

I checked out HD and Parkrose Hardware and no one has much that I can envision that will make something slidey. This was a really bad idea:

full

It's those stick on furniture mover things that help you slide your couch across a hard floor. In this example ,what you see is a hoist holding an engine with little slider things not budging. :shrug:

There's a hoist supply place out on NE Columbia but, of course, they're only open when REGULAR PEOPLE WORK!!!!!!!!! :banghead: I'll try to get out there some lunch hour this week and see if they have a 2" block or something like that. I noticed that had I bought a whole hoist set at HF, I could have gotten one that comes with a wheeled sled. I might have to ask my new buddy, lawrgj from up the street who said he knows how to weld (hint, hint???).

I got a cool new tool out at Parkrose Hardware. My very own 36mm socket!

full

This was the best find I've had so far in buying used stuff (read: as in I bought something I could actually use). This front sproket was attached to a tranny I got used from a ebay person for like $10 which included a very intact set-o-gears.

full

Last thing left to polish is the LHC, which, of course isn't needed to install the engine. But without a movable hoist, I can't do it so I thought I'd get this one done. This came off the original dead engine I started this thread off. These dang pock marks are a really frustrating:

full

This is after I've hit it with both an orange and blue nylon sander drill thing. It's either casting marks, or someone blasted it with a shotgun or phaser or something terrible.

Here it is done. Not perfect, and I'm not sure why I can't get the big pieces quite as shiny as I can the smaller ones, but it's not bad:

full

thats funny steve I just polished my lhc today as well, also like you because I am bored and cant do to much...
I am sorry to hear about the setup, do you have a metal bar up there?
a metal bar and a chain with grease will slide a round bar...

or... you can man up and heave that sucker in there, bang up all the paint and dent your aluminum... had my frame been waxed today I may have attempted something that stupid but luckily I kept my wits about me

If the cable won't slide couldn't you center it over over the frame.
Tye off or hold the motor so it won't swing in till it is high enough.
In one of the threads a fellow used a single tire on top of the beam with flat plates on the sides and a bolt to hang the hoist from. Just can't remember which thread.

the side tie would be interesting. Do you remember anything more about the single tire thing? Did the tire actually slide across a beam?

The flat plat thing gave me an idea that I could use maybe if I could find maybe a 1x3" piece of like 3/4" steel and put a hole on each end. Then run the steel cable through it and let the flat plate (hopefully) slide on the beam. I'm thinking, though, that for this thing to work right, I'll need it to have some kind of rolling action.

that's pretty close, but the bar is 2" square. I had the morning off unexpectedly today so I went out to Rigging Supply on NE Columbia and had a great time troubleshooting this with the hoist guy who is probably used to dealing with a bit of a different kind of customer. This was what we came up with and I couldn't be happier (except for the 'no swinging' sticker)!:

full

This was on the floor of their shop. It was frigging huge. Each side weighs 350#. Apparently it's for bridges. I told them I'd take 3 :)

full

Yikes! LOL, You could use them to tie your bike down if you ever trailer it. :)

Good solution on the roller. More heavy duty for what you need on this project, but now you're prepared for anything.

Good solution on the roller. More heavy duty for what you need on this project, but now you're prepared for anything.

I totally meant to comment on that. xs650 engine = 140-160#. Probably biggest thing I'd ever dream of hoisting. Smallest things I can find for the Home Hoister is in the 1/2 ton range, so that's the rating on the roller and the hoist itself. I get that it's over engineered, and I'm not worried about it falling. But I don't want to be dependent on anyone having to help me if I want to start moving things around. My cost on this has been pretty reasonable, but I can see not investing in this stuff if budget is a major concern:

1) HF hoist with 20% off coupon = $38
2) steel bar (2x sq x 3/4") cut to 12' = $44
3) roller trolley = $90

Back