1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

My 81 XS650 Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gemiller, Oct 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gemiller

gemiller XS650 Enthusiast

Started with a running engine but bad electronics 81 XS650. It came mostly disassembled by an individual that knows nothing about motorcycles.

[​IMG]
    Stock frame with my new looped hard tail (David Bird)

[​IMG]
    Rough cut

[​IMG]
    Tacked into place

[​IMG]
    Rear wheel mounted

[​IMG]
    Reassembled with tapered stem bearings and tc bros lane splitter bars

[​IMG]
    Engine back in frame

[​IMG]
    Cheap used mustang tank repaired and placement pending on arrival of Hughs weld in tank bungs (save a lot of time and effort) and the receipt of my seat and seat mounting hardware.

I'm on vacation next week out of the state so when I return those parts should be there for reassembly. I will get stuck unfortunately waiting on MikesXS to get the pamco kit back in stock for a factory TCI bike. I will be ordering a Hughs PMA kit this friday upon payday.

I'm still debating about rear fender, if I want to go with a standard trailer fender cut short with a long kicked back sissy bar for the struts.

I will also be making a custom thin film solar panel to put on the rear fender to make a custom iPhone charger. since I will be rolling battery less and just because I can, no other real reason.

Updates to follow as progress continues.

2. gemiller

gemiller XS650 Enthusiast

[​IMG]

Seat of choice

[​IMG]

Seat mounts welded and fitting rear fender/playing with sissy bar angles.

[​IMG]

Different angle of above shot.

3. arod_1

arod_1 XS650 Fan

How does this look today? Looks like you were going gangbusters in the fall.