My 81' XS650 Chopper & Intro

So I have some Hoos 700 piston kits on their way to me...should be here today. I have my shopping list from MikesXS ready to click purchase. I'm just not sure on a few things.

I'm trying to decide between spending a few extra hundred dollars and get everything to build this 2nd engine complete or save some money and pull the new parts from my old engine.

The old engine has a new clutch setup including the bearing, new auto advance unit, one piece clutch rod, new clutch worm gear, timing chain, and a bunch of stuff like that.

I am going to swap my PMA over to the new engine. Also my carbs. But it is nice to have a spare engine setting there just in case. I know it runs pretty well.

Decisions decisions...

Here is my shopping list. Anything else I should get?

Code:
Pamco 277 Degree Rephase Ignition                   $224.00
Athena Premium Overhaul Gasket Set                  $69.25
Clutch pushrod oil seal                             $5.90
Oil Seal-kickstart shaft                            $8.80
Top End Copper sealing Washer Kit-9pc               $6.95
Bottom End Copper Washer Kit - 13pc.                $7.95
3 Bond #1194-gasket sealant                         $11.95
Clutch Needle Bearing with Thrust Washer            $17.60
Cam Chain- DID 219FTSS x 106 L                      $52.75
XS Performance Overdrive Gear 0.979in or 24.82 mm   $65.00

I'm going to reuse my clutch springs and bolts, one piece clutch rod, worm gear, PMA, ATU from my old engine. Then I'll build my old engine when I get time/money.

Valve job, at a minimum, grinding compound and lapping sticks, aerosol cleaner, valve spring compressor. Can get worse, depends on whut you find in there. Could go as far as new guides, valves, seat cutting.

Does the gasket kit include guide seals?

Game On

Got my valve's lapped and the guides were very good. I got new seals anyway with the gasket kit so I'll use them. One seal was damaged. Cleaned it all up and it's ready to go back together.

Next I have to take it down and get it bored. Found a place to do it for $50 total. Nice!

Then I need to pull the bottom apart and put all my goodies in it.

I went ahead and got a whole clutch kit for it. Might as well so I don't have to pull my other engine apart.

7gDmhtE6BD6M_atNDbUbAZh92jd9ywRUYl2wMizkPsA=s879-no

IMG_20150315_150226.jpg

IMG_20150324_191157.jpg

Rephase, here I come!

...Got my valve's lapped and the guides were very good. I got new seals anyway with the gasket kit so I'll use them. One seal was damaged. Cleaned it all up and it's ready to go back together...

Caught a bad seal? Good on ya!

Do you know how to check and lap the head/cylinder surfaces?

Dangit.

Forgot to get a couple of clutch pushrod shaft bushing. I got the seals but didn't realize I needed to get the bushings until I watched the youtube on it. DOH.

Mine's leaking like crazy right now. I guess the seal will have to do until I get the new engine in.

Hey pail sweet bike!! Is that a front fender on the rear and how is it attached to the frame?

No. I believe I got the fender from LowBrow. It's the 5" one. Just a hair narrower than the tire.

I think I purchased the tabs at a local shop in Reno. Got the fender struts from BungKing.

Here is how I mounted it:

6E74E091-E065-44A0-8FD8-5193CE29A052.JPG

Got my case split finally. Need to order a few more parts like clutch spring bolts. I hate those screw driver type. Everything looks really good inside though.

I totally forgot to take the pistons off before pulling the case apart. That made it way harder. HAHAHA

IMG_20150329_142126.jpg

Welp, ended up with the wrong 5th gear. Like it says, "measure first."

My 79 engine has the 77 gear in it. LOL Or maybe I don't have a 79 engine like I though. I checked the number and came up with 79 but maybe I did it wrong. As usual.

It's OK though. This 5th gear I have "should" fit in my 81 when I rebuild it.

So another week and I can start putting this engine back together.

Have to wait for the cylinders to be bored anyway.

Got my crank in and cases buttoned up but I might have a problem now.

IMG_20150404_125425.jpg

IMG_20150415_183139.jpg

I posted the photo of the crank on Instagram and Hugh mentioned that it was a XS1 crank. I bought it from a guy that said he worked at HHB for a while and didn't mention at all it was an XS1 crank.

Anyway... I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem. I think I already have one issue and it's the timing chain is different.

Am I screwed?

You can still get the XS1 pistons/rings/wristpins, but the crank's sprocket may be what kills your setup. The XS1's crank used the 17 tooth, 447's used 18 tooth. The camshaft must have the matching 34 or 36 tooth sprocket. Later 447 tensioner systems will work with either as long as you have later 447 cylinders with the wider camchain tunnel.

I have the matching cam for this crank. But I just dropped a bunch of money on 700 pistons so I don't want to have to buy new pistons.

Looks like I'm putting the stock crank/cam back in. No rephase for me.

Anyone want to buy an XS1 rephased crank/cam? I paid $500 for them shipped. Had no idea it was XS1.

Back