My 81' XS650 Chopper & Intro

Wiring:
IMG_0680.jpg

Last edited:
Rode it for a few hours today. The leak from my base gasket stopped. So that's good. Forgot to put a nut on my seat mount and that was fun when the bolt disappeared.

Got my carbs synced. That was easy. Better spring on the kickstand. Now it doesn't bobble. Reworked the springs for the brake switch and brake pullback. All good now. I still need to build a bracket to hold the back of the pipes.

Bike rode well except a few issues:

The shifting is not good. I can't downshift until I slow down to under 30 or so. I did order a Hugh's hydro clutch, so I hope that fixes it and it's not something really bad. I already can't find neutral unless I turn it off.

Engine let out a wheeze when I turned it off after getting home. It was hard to start once also. It seemed to be idling a bit high.

Still gets pretty ruff over 65MPH. All the rodes out here are 65 or more and everyone drives 75 or more.

I think there is something wrong with my frontend. Like no oil in it or maybe the springs have been cut. I'll have to open it up. It kinda just drops down a few inches before dampening.

I still need to wire up the blinkers and re-paint it.

Got my new hydro clutch from Hugh installed today. Didn't fix my problem with finding neutral, so I tore the right side off to figure it out. Looks like the PO screwed it up. The screws were all stripped out and bent, and there was different size clutch friction plates in the pack. My brother thinks this is the problem with not being able to adjust my clutch.

I need to buy the screws and pates, but I really don't want to buy from MikesXS. Ground shipping is $14 and takes at least 7 days to get here. I don't know why it's so slow. I wish they had USPS shipping ($6 and gets here in three days).

What other places can I buy the Clutch Friction Plates and the screws (preferably the Allen Bolt kind)?

477863_10150840594830406_942908737_o.jpg

Last edited:
Got my clutch friction plates tonight. Went right out and put them in. I put in the single piece push rode also.

Still can't get it into neutral when I'm in gear. I adjust it all the way out then in till it touches, then out just a hair. That's where it should be adjusted.

I put it in gear and the bike stalls. So I adjust it in until I can put it in gear without stalling, but then I can't put it into neutral.

So I've got the hydro clutch, long rod, greased the worm gear, new friction plates, checked to make sure there are no grooves or bent basket. Still can't fix the neutral problem.

I'll do some more searching.

Austblue, no I did not. After doing research last night that's probably it.

I should have ordered one with my other parts but didn't even think of it. I think I've paid more in shipping than in parts, lol.

I'm going to replace it next oil change.

Made it to my first 100 miles! Nothing fell off! I'm so happy!

Rode about 30 miles on the highway today. That was different. 65MPH and pretty windy.

I think I might need a smaller helmet. Feels like mine wants to tear off my head. It lifts pretty good. It's a NovDot Medium. It's not very tight on my head. I know a small Bell fits my head pretty good. I'll get a small NovDot and sell this one. I like the helmet.

This weekend I'm going to finish wiring my blinkers and ride into town. That should be pretty fun.

I checked the spark plugs and they are pretty good looking. Just the right tan color. Pretty crazy for having stock jets in my 38's with pods and baffled straight pipes. Just goes to show you that every carb setup is different. My carb problems were all electrical.

One time I killed it and I could not get it started again. Not sure what was going on there. I checked it out and could not find anything wrong. It ran good after that. Next week I'm going to replace the thrust bearing and put the HD clutch springs in. They are on their way.

IMG_0902.jpg

So much happiness right now.

Last edited:
Rode to the next town today to put my check in the bank. It was awesome. Even the big white lifted Ford truck that tried to kill me didn't get me down. Filled up my tank and calculated my mileage. 54MPG. Not bad.

On the way back I had a small problem with my brake locking up. I put a screw for a stop and it backed out and kept my brake on. Easy fix. Made sure I have Locktite on it now.

Then the big problem. Coming down into my town, almost home, and the bike just dies. I could not get it started. I knew it had to be electrical. Got the truck and hauled it home.

I tested at the switch and I had power there. Tested at the coil and no power there. Pulled all the fuses out and tried it with only ignition and it fired right up. Then did the one fuse at a time until it stopped working. My TC Bros tail light. Pulled the rubber boot on and found the wires sheered off at the light socket and the wires touching. Ah, direct short.

I'm going to contact TC Bros and see if it's something that I can warranty because I can't fix it myself. It's so strange. The wires are not tight and are protected. Not sure how that happened. I guess the wind flapping the wires probably.

476638_10150942624240406_1583239469_o.jpg

456740_10150942623990406_1957381147_o.jpg

Last edited:
wow, that really sucks about your rear light man.

in regards to finding neutral, i've come up with a technique which GREATLY improves getting into neutral, at least for me. It involves blipping the throttle to get engine speed up a bit past idle. While the RPMs are a bit higher, then try shifting into neutral.

I've found that this greatly improves my ability to find neutral. Let me know if it works for ya!

I fixed my tail light last night by taking apart the light socket. I found another contact plate and stuffed it in there and it worked out.

So today I did another milestone ride. 80 miles through Virginia City and into Carson City for lunch then back home.

That was a fun trip, but I think there is something wrong with my front end. It's really springy and kinda shakes at some speeds. Like it has no oil in it maybe. So I guess I'll have to pull that apart next and figure it out.

I would just drop a K on a new springer but I don't think my wife will like that much. lol

Anyway, it was an awesome day. Tomorrow I get my new thrust washer for my clutch and HD springs. So I'm going to tear into that again. I hope I can ride into Reno on Wednesday for work. (100 miles round trip) Can't wait!

Another 150 miles down. My tank holds about 3gal at fill up. I can go 150 miles. This time I only got 52MPH on mid grade fuel (89). The gas station I filled up with only had regular and super. Didn't say what they were anywhere. I hope it was 91 this time. ($4.30/gal it better be 91)

I'm still fighting with my clutch. Next is to try 20/50 oil and see if that helps. Maybe a new worm gear.

Lost my key today. I didn't even know it would come out when turned on. Found out I can turn it on/off with anything. (it was free)

My tail light bulb burned out so I stole one off my dad's trailer, lol. I'm going to switch it to a LED.

I'm still wrenching on it.

Well, I have things running pretty nice now. I'm riding the bike to work about once a week. My current problems is the chain is going wild. I build a tensioner over the weekend and thought I had it solved but today it was flapping all over hitting the tire and frame. I have the chain pretty tight too. 1" of up/down play.

I'm still having the clutch problems too. I'm waiting for my new worm gear from mikes to get here. Probably next week because their shipping is stupid slow.

Back