My "between projects" project.

sar.jpg

I decided on a complete do-over on the steamer. With the 3D printer I can print things faster than I can build them and I made several changes to correct scale issues and add some details.

I'm about 90% done with Version 2, mostly waiting on some decent weather to paint.

Meanwhile, I wanted an old, run-down shed to park it under.

insp.jpg

I found this picture on the web for my inspiration

sshed1.jpg

sshed2.jpg

sshed4.jpg

sshed5.jpg

Here are the results with Version 1 of the steamer parked under it for the photo op. The peeling tar paper effect is facial tissue applied with diluted glue tinted with food coloring and then give a black wash to tone it down and highlight the wrinkles. I'm pretty pleased with how that worked out, first time I've tried it.

A good project for 3D printer would be a good-looking cover for the area at the back of the seat on a Special if you're changed to a taillight on the fender.

That chebby Looks good to me

Thanks. Damn things are almost as much of a drain on the wallet as modersickels tho.

Basic kit was a bit shy of $30.
Resin 4WD kit including axles, springs, transfer case, drive shafts (with articulating u-joints!) and shocks was another $35
The paint came from an outfit that produces model paint in factory color codes - 2 jars of color and a large jar of primer - $30 with shipping.

So, basically, I have $100 tied up in a model I could've bought for $5.00 when I was a kid.

Then again, that's a couple of rounds of golf, not counting lost balls and 9 irons wrapped around trees, so there's that...

So, basically, I have $100 tied up in a model I could've bought for $5.00 when I was a kid.
You could just sit on your ass in front of the TV and subsist on cheap groceries. After all, you should be leaving as much money behind as possible. Your family might appreciate it.

Thanks. It's sort of like motorcycles...lots of fun, but can be hard on the wallet...

Yeah, but what else are you going to do with the DE-family millions...OK, hundreds - have it buried with you?

...and yes, a few 9-iron pretzels would start to become rather spendy...

V2V1.jpg

V2_1s.jpg

V2_2s.jpg

V2_3s.jpg

Version 2 came out with several improvements, but a couple of things still bug me. Close enough for a diorama that will be viewed from 3-4 feet away I guess.
I'm likin it at least you can say I built this from scratch
And also the big box store was fresh out of them so I had too

waukleft.jpg

waukright.jpg

3D rendering of a Waukesha gas engine for a 1:64 model I'm working on. At scale, it's 5/8ths of an inch long, 1/2 inch high and 1/4 inch wide. Can't get a decently focused closeup (lens issues...) but even at that small scale the details come out pretty good in the print.

chopperparts3.jpg

Progress on the Gehl SP-135 self propelled forage harvester (farmers/gggGary will know what that is). Presented to me as a challenge by a guy on a tractor board I hang out on. He's been sending me detailed pictures and measurements of his, plus a PDF of the parts list.

The corn head and chute are preliminary prints to check the design and printability. Both need a little tweaking to fix some scale issues but that's easily done. The next step is the operator platform, which may be a bit of a bugger, and the rear axle/wheels.

testrun.jpg

A test assembly of the parts I have printed so far. The great thing about the 3D printer is that as I assemble it and find things that need to be resized or strengthened or tweaked in some way, I can just update the drawings and print out another copy. I'm on V3 of the chassis and V5 of the corn head.

A few fiddly pieces to design and test drive yet. Operator platform railings, engine cover and exhaust, ladder to the platform and figure out mounting the corn head to the chassis.

This is a test mule so the cleanup of the various bits is pretty quick and dirty. When I'm happy with everything I'll print out a new copy of each part and spend a LOT more time cleaning them up before assembling the model.

Exceptional DE. Didn't realise you were a technological aficionado. I can't remember my password and you're turning out 1/2" x 1/4" 3D's. I'm impressed!

Thanks, David.

That project has been stalled for a bit. I need some pictures or illustrations of the connection between the corn head and the chassis but the guy that's providing me with all the details has more important things to deal with at the moment. I have a couple of other things on the bench to keep me occupied.

Back