My "between projects" project.

Will view all with interest.
Cheers

Well, since you asked...
As a pre-teen and teen, I was car crazy and being too young/broke to have an actual car, I built a crap-ton of models. While I'm still interested in the diorama, ideas for additions/details are harder to come by. I've posted pictures of the '50 Chevy 5 window I built, and found that new tools, techniques and skills have really piqued my interest in model cars again.

For my next project, I bought this kit:

nova.jpg

Of course, just building it right out of the box is too easy, plus there were some details I didn't care for so I had to butcher it up a little.

nchassis.jpg

Lowered cars and Pro Street don't do a thing for me. Gassers are where it's at (no doubt a vestige of my 60's drag-racing obsession). So the stock front suspension got trashed and replaced with a 3D printed straight front axle and leaf springs. The differential was chopped and the leaf spring setup replaced with a 4-link and coil springs. The model has the slicks crammed under the sheet metal but I wanted a little wider stance so I radiused the wheel wells and moved them out a tad.

cockpit.jpg

The interior was a stock Nova interior - Unlikely in a Pro Street machine, out of the question for a gasser. So I stripped it, built a full cage, added a 3D printed Recaro seat and a Lenco shifter.

nengine.jpg

The engine was pretty cool, just needed some details like plug wires and fuel lines. I also modified the hood scoop with a 3D printed part, but not sure I like the result. Need to stare at it a bit, maybe put a coat of primer on it and see if it grabs me.

I was also gifted the remnants of two thoroughly molested kits which contained parts for 4 different engines:

deuce.jpg

vicky.jpg

engines.jpg

I swiped and modified the wheels out of the Vicky kit for the Nova and I'm using parts from all three kits to build the Deuce Coupe to my liking.

deucechassis.jpg

deucebody.jpg

The front axle is from the Vicky kit, the engine will be similar to the Nova, the Deuce rear end was adapted to the Nova leaf springs since I stole the 4 link for the Nova. The front clip will be mostly Vicky stuff, modified to suit. I didn't like the vinyl roof insert on the body so I hacked it out and filled it with styrene and will blend it in.

While we're at it, I'm open to color suggestions for both vehicles. Not only are the original cast-in colors ugly and dull, the mix-and-match parts will require painting anyway.

There are some really great videos on the YouTube, with how-to's on doing high quality paint and effects using rattle can (if you're not already set up with airbrush stuff). My latest projects are slot cars, with scratch-built chassis and kit model bodies ('58 Thunderbird and '57 Fairlane hardtop). They will look like dirt track strictly stock class cars. These are called "Bombers" at a nearby slot car raceway. I'm waiting for some more materials and equipment to be delivered, and I'll need at least a couple more trips to the track before they're ready, but I'll post pictures when they are done.

@59Tebo - Looking forward to it. '57 Fairlanes are one of Ford's prettiest cars IMHO.

I do have an airbrush, bought it in the 80's when I was heavy into model railroading. Just recently discovered lacquer paints for air brushes which brings model painting to a whole new level. LOT to learn on that front.

I do have an airbrush
Then you're on the next level, DE. I'm still using rattle cans. But, I've had good results. Equipment in the pipeline includes a portable hobby spray booth and a model car "rotisserie", that should up my game (a little). I'm gonna "green screen" my cars to look like they're parked at a Wal-Mart. If my photography skills are anything like they once were, it'll look pretty convincing, except you'll be able to see the guide flag of the slot cars. Fun! The chassis are another story. They're still in R & D.... The acid test will be on the track.

Found these examples of my model building days. Used to build these with my sons to teach them how to follow a plan and show some patience. Haven't dragged these puppies out of the shed in 25 years as you can tell by the dust. Don't know what happened to the Lancaster - disappeared into the mists of life's refocuses, but the B17 was fun!.
Not up to your standard DE but, I have fiddled with glue and tweezers.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I dunno, David, they look PLENTY capable of meeting my "standards". Nice work!

There's a modeling forum I hang out on but I don't post much. Too many rivet counters. I build my stuff to please me, not some anal-retentive nit-picker.

Back