My bike won't go backwards!

essexboydave

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to turn my bike round today to take it for a test ride and discovered a most curious thing-with the engine running and the bike in gear I can't roll it backwards! It'll only move a couple of inches then stops suddenly almost like you've left a disc-lock on, in fact I even got off to check if I'd done just that but as soon as the bike is in neutral it'll roll backwards easy as anything! I have checked that the clutch is right and it certainly seems to be disengaging correctly so I don't believe it's as simple as a bit of clutch drag.
Anyone got any ideas what's going on here?

It's disc brakes back and front, and i don't think it's clutch drag as with it on the centre stand running in gear if I hold the clutch in I can easily hold the back wheel still by hand. I'm pretty sure it's not a tight chain either as the bike moves backwards easily when it's not in gear.
As I try to roll it back in gear or turn the wheel backwards when it's on the centre stand it turns easily for just a couple of inches then suddenly stops completely almost as if you'd put a steel bar through the wheel!

Going by the feel I think the fault lies in the gearbox somewhere, I was half hoping others had suffered this before but I'm starting to think it's a problem peculiar to my bike :(

Dave, what your bike is doing is UNIVERSAL to the Yamaha XS650. It's what EVERY ONE OF THEM NORMALLY DOES when clutch adjustment is too loose.

If you adjust the clutch properly--at the worm gear and at the perch--the back up problem will disappear. I guarantee it. There are plenty of threads already up on clutch adjustment, so I won't clutter the board with another one.

Dave, what your bike is doing is UNIVERSAL to the Yamaha XS650. It's what EVERY ONE OF THEM NORMALLY DOES when clutch adjustment is too loose.

If you adjust the clutch properly--at the worm gear and at the perch--the back up problem will disappear. I guarantee it. There are plenty of threads already up on clutch adjustment, so I won't clutter the board with another one.
Solution has been found. clutch adjustment.

Hey Angus, maybe we should just kick back and enjoy the diagnostic drama. Sometimes I wonder how long--or even if--some of these guys have ridden and maintained a 650.

BTW, that hard lock-up in the drive train occurs even with the kick start shaft and gears completely removed and the shaft hole sealed for button-only starting.

Hi, marvels of google!....and being a member of this forum....had this problem and had not known about this xs650 querk...problem now solved with slight tweek to clutch adjustment can now enjoy rest of holiday in west highlands of Scotland

Back