My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

Thanks for the reply and the link here to your build thread. Being brand new to the forum experience:banghead:, I need all the links I can get!ha I read the whole thing and I must say your bike looks great! I was hoping to find some good shots of your wiring. I could make out the pigtail coming off the rec/reg and the round white things below(fuses?) but that was it. If you have the time, can you snap a few good close-ups of whats goin on there? I'm specifically interested in where/how you ran and mounted the capacitor. Also, a good pic of just the capacitor would help as well. What can I say, I'm a picture kinda guy.:shrug: I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, and I know you got better shit to do, but being that you've recently gone down this road , I figure you are the current SME. This system is totally foreign to me!

In the pictures of the bike. If you look above the reg/rect and you see something brown. That is where my capacitor is. The brown stuff is just some foam that I had laying around. I wrapped it around the capacitor and the seat post and tightened the clamp.

Alright here are some more links about the PMA:

MrRiggs Thread on Garage

My thread on 650rider

My thread on Garage

Basically a picture of my wiring diagram.
index.cgi

Last edited:
Well done, man! She's beautiful! What's that, tooling on the seat? What brand paint did you use on your motor? Have you had any problems with bubbling or peeling from the heat? BTW, good choice dremeling the edges of the fins. You built a tough lookin' bike!

Gosh I'm getting antsy... Getting close. Just gotta paint some other parts and polish the edges again. Put the engine in set up the new rephased wiring and try 'er out.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 136
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 135
Alright, got into the shop today. Got the 21" tire on and trued. Put the engine back in the frame and put some things together. Spent an hour looking for the banshee rotor puller.. Then put the advance in along with the advance rod... Unfortunately the end of the cam had been beaten up somewhere along the way and the rod is binding on the ignition side of the cam. I am going to have to figure out a way to pull those suckers out or something. Anyhow took a picture of the wheel and the bike.

Thursday I will get out the sandpaper and polish the fins and try to figure out the damned cam bushings.

Attachments

• photoa.jpg
    photoa.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 170
  • photob.jpg
    photob.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 7,298
Alright, just a sneak peak. Got it running, but figured out that my capacitor is bad. SO I will be waiting to get a new one till I can ride it. Video is just mobile quality.

SO.... I brought the bike home today. I have put over 100mi on it today, in 95 degree Texas heat, just riding it around town and on back roads trying to tear it up. With the 750, the rephase, the dellortos and open pipes.... It SCREAMS... Especially whenever the accelerator pump kicks in. I sure am glad I'm already partially deaf because if I wasn't I would be right now. I only have a speedo to track mileage and I'm glad b/c I don't know if EVERYONE was being a Sunday driver today or what, but I was passing people left and right on the highway doing 60... Yes, 60 on a 70mph hwy.. I'm thinking my speedo isn't quite spot on lol.

Back