My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

- that sounds a lot better

- dont see why you should need a relay on the kill switch-it just cuts the power supply

How difficult was it to fit your alternater and roter?

bike sounds nice always prefer the sound of twin exhausts,

It's really easy Jay. There's a guy over at the garage that really helped me out. What I did to make it easier was to a stator that matched my reg/rect (honda VF500) so that way I didn't really have to change up the wiring. I also (after bugging MrRiggs to death on the garage) bought his custom mounting bracket. If you're interested man I would be very willing to help you out and give you more info. I have a modified stator bracket for the job. I just felt like I owed the guy at the point that I was at.

Anyone have a link to how to properly disassemble the fork legs? I'm more and more wanting the shorter tubes in there with this rake. I want to see what it looks like.

Anyone have a link to how to properly disassemble the fork legs? I'm more and more wanting the shorter tubes in there with this rake. I want to see what it looks like.
Hi Jimmy, I can show you how to take a few inches out of the forks, not hard at all. On these forks I took out 2 1/4". I will dig thru pic's and show how I do it. I'm sure others have ways as well. I will get back to you on this soon.

- shortening forks

fork_shorten_exploded_view.gif

I have a pair of shorter forks. The current ones are +4" I'm looking to disassemble them and put the stock pair on there b/c I want to see what it looks like stock length. Although I may even be interested in shortening those so hold that thought!! When I try to take them apart the bolt just spins.

forkdamper.jpg

- 17mm nuts...fork caps off, oil out, springs out, compress the fork...use this to hold the damping rod while undoing from the bottom

Ahhh as much as a begrudging to do it. It's that time. It's time for me to disassemble for paint... :banghead: I'll keep ya'll updated. It's not going to be a difficult job since it's just going to flat black, but I am begrudging it. I also need to pull apart the wheels so that way I can despoke them and polish them or powdercoat. Not sure which. However, I do know one thing and that is I'm disassembling and painting the frame tomorrow!!

No I used a banshee rotor, honda vf500 stator and reg/rect, with a custom stator plate. With a 25v 10,000uf capacitor.

Nice is that cheap and easy to do ? could use a little more info if you have the time?

Last edited:
It's cheap if you're patient enough! I got my banshee rotor and a stator plate for $30 locally. It also came with a stator. I have since sold the stator and stator plate for $50. That put me at -$20 on the banshee rotor. Since I asked Mrriggs on the garage forum 9 billion questions.. I bought a custom stator plate for $75 plus shipping. that put me at $60. bought a stator and reg/rect from a honda vf500 for $40 after combined shipping so it cost me realistically right at $100. And that's after I ponied up $75 for the custom stator plate, but it was worth it. Riggs really has it set up to be a bolt on deal.

It is fairly easy believe it or not. My rotor was already damaged anyhow. I had to weld the puller onto the rotor to get it off. So I said screw it and did and wouldn't have done it any other way.

PS --- I just found out there's a Harbor Freight location right next to me. Pssh I didn't even know. SWEET

oh gosh I don't remember what year I used. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure they are all pretty interchangeable. Permanent Magnet Conversion Here is the link to the garage thread that shows the list of interchangeable stators and parts that can be used instead of the ones I used. The reason I chose to use the stator and reg/rect off of the same bike is that they will plug right in that way.

Anyone know how well the powdercoating system from harbor freight works?

nice info I saw this on one of the other sites as well, the only thing is if you jb weld the plate on you cant split the cases :( i wonder if there is a mod for this:confused:

oh by the way eastwood has powder coat system too

Back