My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

There is. You can either buy the stator plate from Mrriggs. Or you can modify a banshee stator plate to bolt in. If you go down further on that thread you'll read about how you can modify the stator plate.

Like I said mrriggs stator plate is just bolt in anyhow.

Well skull the plate is already made all you really have to do is order it from mrriggs. I'm not advertising for him. It's just the route I chose to go.

Hi Jimmy, I can show you how to take a few inches out of the forks, not hard at all. On these forks I took out 2 1/4". I will dig thru pic's and show how I do it. I'm sure others have ways as well. I will get back to you on this soon.

BTW scott I'm really digging that thing. Is it raked? Anymore pics of that bad boy?

the only thing is if you jb weld the plate on you cant split the cases :( i wonder if there is a mod for this:confused:

Just answering the the question bigjimmyw13, not knocking the mrriggs backing plate. I got tied up for a while and when i answerd it was 3/4 of an hour later and didn't realize you had. :thumbsup:

BTW scott I'm really digging that thing. Is it raked? Anymore pics of that bad boy?
Hi Jimmy, it's raked too 42deg and the frame was tilted forward in the jig to give the motor a "slanted forward" look. There are build pic's in the "lets see the xs's" thread I think? Too many projects, not enough time! same old story :shrug: And Alex (allegro) I have finished pictures of the tracker in that same "lets see the xs's" thread, the red and white bike :thumbsup:

Nice I will have to check that out then. I am wrapping mine up. I'm procrastinating disassembly for paint...... I think while I have it apart I'm going to have the rims and hubs powdercoated black gloss, too. Ahhh. It just seems so counter productive to take it all back apart... Wish I would have known what I wanted before I put it all together.

Nice I will have to check that out then. I am wrapping mine up. I'm procrastinating disassembly for paint...... I think while I have it apart I'm going to have the rims and hubs powdercoated black gloss, too. Ahhh. It just seems so counter productive to take it all back apart... Wish I would have known what I wanted before I put it all together.

Every bike builder does that :thumbsup:

Hmm went to take one last ride on the assembled bike before I started disassembly and kicked it over and Nothing! :wtf: Now I'm going to have to spend more time figuring out the damned problem instead of disassembling. :banghead:

Alright well I put in another order to patient and kind Pete. :-D I will be getting a new ignition tomorrow via overnight. So Hopefully the COMPLETELY new wiring did the trick! Another suggestion that Pete said is that the reg/rect isn't doing it's job. Makes me wonder if it hasn't been working since I got it or if it just suddenly died. It's been running for a couple of weeks now and then all of the sudden bam. That's what troubles me!

Well I painted the engine and frame yesterday and today. I only painted the side covers until I take the right side cover off for powdercoat so that way I could get a better idea of how it looks.

Currently the plan is for the side covers to be powdercoated gloss black.
Do all the tappet and valve covers chrome or polished I think.
Leaving the oil filter as is.
I'm unsure whether or not to polish/chrome the wheels and hubs or powdercoat them gloss black, too. The spokes will be polished/chromed either way.

I know better than this but.....not trying to be mean .....but wait till you take that 80 out on the express and think to yourself how long can it do this before it blows up.......first time I had my 80 up there more than 10 years ago it did make one exit but it was a while before I wanted to do that again.....I wouldn't know where to begin....xsjohn

I know better than this but.....not trying to be mean .....but wait till you take that 80 out on the express and think to yourself how long can it do this before it blows up.......first time I had my 80 up there more than 10 years ago it did make one exit but it was a while before I wanted to do that again.....I wouldn't know where to begin....xsjohn

What do you mean John? I'm unsure what you're referring to....

Last edited:
You will find a serious epa lean carb problem to start with......along with an advanced timing problem to go along with that ...timed up for all the high revs and leaving the lows to suffer.......and geared way to low....being a stupid close ratio transmission...1-2-3 gears being high and 4-5 being too close to 3rd ....they will go along for a bit (stock) that way but not for the long run.........when I worked Yamaha then in 80 we were all wondering what the epa had come up with being the first year of the new regs......didn't take us long to find out..........and having been there when they came out I rearranged mine to what we had learned in 1980......having to fix them and all....ah I'm just an ole fart.........reminiscing I guess...and finally enjoying mine finally after rearranging all the crud..........xsjohn

I'm also pretty damn confused... are you talking about his newly painted engine overheating, his hardtail being hard on the back on the expressway, him needing to re-gear so he doesn't blow the motor, or rejetting the CV carbs, or something else???! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks Travis. I'm running Dellortos. I have shocks in my seat. I don't care about what the EPA says. Engine overheating.. That's probably the only concern I have with the paint. I flipped back and forth several times whether to paint it or not, but finally just did it. The gearing.. The engine runs pretty well right now so I couldn't justify myself tearing that much into it. If I were going to. I would have put the 750kit on and rephase it. On doing the edges. I thought about it. We'll see if I decide to do it. I may do one side and look at it first before I decide.

Back