My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

Off topic, but what do you think of the old CX500? My buddy also had a '79 that was a huge piece of shit! Mostly from neglect. Was the most dangerous bike I've ever ridden. The thing had ghetto wiring, bouncy suspension, bad brakes, and a really bad knock of some kind coming from up front by the mechanical fan (cam chain?). I guess that's what you get when literally pull a bike out of a snowbank and buy it from the owner for a case of heineken. :shrug: Needless to say, I'm glad he got rid of it.

Haha it's definitely a special case bike for me. It runs fine kind of lol. Then again I got it for $300. It needs new plug wires and the plug wires are attached to the coil and it'll be a PITA. I'm gonna sell it to my brother anyhow so I'm not going to do anything to it for now. It's in IL right now anyway.

BTW here's a pic of my cx500
16269101001541899390048.jpg

- ah, the moto-honda, had one of these too, rather liked her, rode quite well, although when she went i preferred my V50 monza air cooled
- also had the CX650Turbo...fuel injected...a real bitch to work on, today i wish i had kept her

i like the cleaned edges. It gives some contrast to the rest of the paint.

I think you should take your side cover bolts out (one at a time) and shine them up, and paint the screws black on the V/C's and cam covers - it would further the effect.

That's the reason I do like the look! I'm waiting till I get the side covers powdercoated gloss black before I do anything with the screws. I was thinking about having some stuff chromed. If I do I might as well do the side cover screws while I'm at it.

eesh! nevermind... I like the first one better! hahaha.. just kidding!

It looks good! clean the dust out from the fins and polish the edges a little bit more and it'll look great! The contrast looks good. I agree with Sundie about removing the black from the side cover bolts.

Did you use a dremel?

I did use a dremel. I plan on polishing them up a bit. I'm not too worried about the head bolts. I'm flip flopping back and for about chroming the wheels already so I figured it wouldn't cost much more to chrome some of the screws.

Hey man I find the truth in the world is the most comical!! Thanks Gordon. Means a lot coming from you.

Although I just got home from surgery so it'll be a few days before I put more of a dent in reassembly.

I'm still stuck though. Should I chrome the wheels, hubs and spokes; or should I powdercoat the wheels and hubs gloss black and polish the spokes?

Thanks man. It's a TCBros. Had I to do it all over again though. I would have gotten the custom hardtail kit and made a dropseat tail. No worries. though I like how it's turning out either way.

Of course. Right now I forgot to mention that I put the stock forks in to see how I like the height and look of the shorter fork tubes in. (It's raked to take +4") I want to see how it looks shorter. I may even try to pick up some +2" fork tubes and see how they look and compare them all.

Back