My Build Thread.

I have had a couple pets that I raised from birth, sick beyond my ability to help them any longer.
So I have been at their side as much as possible. Flicker passed away last Thursday night. And Rowdy passed away 2 hours ago. Any way they are out of pain now. And watching my Mom suffer was sad as well.
I'm not sure what it is about pets but, Damn I have a soft spot for them. I worked on a cattle ranch, I was a Marine and have seen my fair share of death. And to date only my Pops death ever bothered me as much as the loss of my Pets.

very sorry to hear about the recent loss Carbon . I feel all the worse for missing this post and only just saw it whilst looking through your thread for your snag list.

Its exactly the same for me . I have a much closer bond with my cats than any person since I lost my Mum back in 88 .

Pet's trust in us is total,.... their love unconditional. They are constant companions yet make no demands on us and we'd give them anything we have.

I'm dreading losing my old boy Peanut who is now 15 and skinny and bony as a rake.

Well I've put over a 1000 miles on her.
I've put a new clutch push rod, bush and oil seal in
replaced the wore out front drive sprocket with a new 18 tooth sprocket.
I have a fairly new rear 30 tooth sprocket.
the new combo is giving me 60 mph at 3500 rpm in 5th gear
which for me is plenty fast for cruising.
I very happy with my bike.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good hear you've got some miles on her Carbon.:D I'll have to look into changing up the sprockets on mine,just to get her down in rpm's a little more. How's the take off with your new sprocket set?
I was wondering where you were!:bike:

Hey John!
Take off is a bit different.
Ya just have to slip the clutch a little.
I just give some extra revs and take off.
It's about perfect for us flatlanders

Well I've put over a 1000 miles on her.
I've put a new clutch push rod, bush and oil seal in
replaced the wore out front drive sprocket with a new 18 tooth sprocket.
I have a fairly new rear 30 tooth sprocket.
the new combo is giving me 60 mph at 3500 rpm in 5th gear
which for me is plenty fast for cruising.
I very happy with my bike.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

thats a pretty impressive mileage carbon.

Did you retain the 530 chain ? or did you go 520 with everything.

3500rpm sounds perfect for a good cruising speed but how is it at say 30-40 mph ? do you need to drop to third gear ? are there any speed bands that are now difficult to gear for .
Sorry for all the questions . I guess the sprockets are so cheap I'll order them up and experiment myself ,next year.

thats a pretty impressive mileage carbon.

Did you retain the 530 chain ? or did you go 520 with everything.

3500rpm sounds perfect for a good cruising speed but how is it at say 30-40 mph ? do you need to drop to third gear ? are there any speed bands that are now difficult to gear for .
Sorry for all the questions . I guess the sprockets are so cheap I'll order them up and experiment myself ,next year.

Hi Peanut, I did keep the 530 chain size
Yes 30 to 40 is 3rd gear
there are no problems in bands
each gear just has more width now
1st gear is just a bit tall for take off once rolling like it better than 17 34.
If You want to drag race 18/30 it too tall
In the hills it might be too tall, like I say once it's rolling it's good for me
after the first ride or two take off are second nature with the tall gear.
I do how ever notice it when I change bikes

the last thing I want out of mine is speed .
I'm looking for good weather cruiser for the leafy lanes in Somerset :thumbsup:

Only thing that worries me a little is my weight. 240lbs :yikes:
which is why I was going to try 17x 30t first to see if it suits the terrain around here which is a bit hilly.

It may only be 350 feet climb out of the village but its over less than 1/4 mile distance which is a killer on a bicycle when you weigh this much:laugh:

the last thing I want out of mine is speed .
I'm looking for good weather cruiser for the leafy lanes in Somerset :thumbsup:

Only thing that worries me a little is my weight. 240lbs :yikes:
which is why I was going to try 17x 30t first to see if it suits the terrain around here which is a bit hilly.

It may only be 350 feet climb out of the village but its over less than 1/4 mile distance which is a killer on a bicycle when you weigh this much:laugh:

17X32 would be a better choice If hills are involved. Lugging around with too tall a gear takes the fun factor out of the bike. Carbon the water bottle :wtf:

LOL I get cotton mouth when I'm riding.
Damn IT IS kinda ugly aint it!
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:shrug:

Usually a local watering hole. Where bikers hang out to Quench thirst works and the bike looks better. A flask of gatoraide concealed in jacket perhaps. It is motorcycle not a water buffalo. :D Too much chrome bad location. :thumbsup:

I know the perfect container and place to hang it. I would put one on my bike but I don't have a sissy bar. Having a warped sense of humor. I would hang a Douche bag on the sissy bar it has a hose attached if I remember right. I was thinking you adapt one of those straw like devices the dentist uses for drool control on the end of the hose. Hands free operation and J shape hangs nicely in use and non use. The Harley boys could cover the bag in black leather. Feel free to use my idea. Got to be better than the hardhat beer cans. :laugh::laugh:

17X32 would be a better choice If hills are involved. Lugging around with too tall a gear takes the fun factor out of the bike. Carbon the water bottle :wtf:

17x32 is likely to be a waste of money for me. It would only give me a reduction of little more than 100 rpm :shrug:

The majority of the local area I am likely to ride in is as flat as a pancake (Somerset Levels) its just my village is on top of a molehill 350ft asl

I am unlikely to ever hit 70MPH on my bike ...maybe a spirited 55MPH on a good dry day.
I have already worked out that 17x30T is likely to give me the rpm I need ,I just need to be sure that the bike will actually climb the 1:6 hill back to my home with my weight on it lol

I know the perfect container and place to hang it. I would put one on my bike but I don't have a sissy bar. Having a warped sense of humor. I would hang a Douche bag on the sissy bar it has a hose attached if I remember right. I was thinking you adapt one of those straw like devices the dentist uses for drool control on the end of the hose. Hands free operation and J shape hangs nicely in use and non use. The Harley boys could cover the bag in black leather. Feel free to use my idea. Got to be better than the hardhat beer cans. :laugh::laugh:

I have one of those bags!
Not really
I do have a hydro backpack it holds 2 quarts and has a hose to drink from.
it works great.
I have removed my bottle holder
Also I want to report that my efforts to stop oil leaks have been spot on. My first leakless engine

Last edited:
Good morning Peanut.
That engine will have plenty of power to haul you around

thanks for the reassurance on that carbon.:thumbsup:

Scabber had me a little concerned about my chosen gearing for a moment but I guess he probably enjoys a good spirited blast whereas I just want a nice calm cruise without any drama. :bike:
If I wanted to race all over the place I'd use my Porsche ...its a lot safer on 4x wheels in the UK:D

Back