My Build

jimed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first build so I want to give a little history about what I have done so far. This might be kind of lengthy but I hope you enjoy it.

Here she is in the beginning a 1981 Special Craigslist find of $250.
IMG_1854.jpg
She wasn’t running had no spark and ok compression but no problem I knew what I wanted and who I wanted to do it for the power plant, exhaust system, and frame.

The first thing I did was contact GreatScott about a set of pipes. I sent him a set of old Harley fishtails and a picture of what I wanted and here’s what I got in return.

Greatscott2.jpg

Greatscott1.jpg

GreatScott’s craftsmanship is outstanding and the fit was perfect. All of this in only 2 weeks.

Next I contacted Paul Bertaut (PaulSales) about doing my engine build. We agreed on a complete rebuild with the following additions MikesXS 750CC Big Bore Kit, 420 Lift Billet Cam, springs,etc., 36mm Mikuni Carbs, Pamco Ignition with Green Monster coil, MikeXS overdrive 24 tooth 5th gear, Long one-piece clutch pushrod, performance oil filter & cooler kit, Pro-port head porting, and bead blasting the entire engine. I sent Paul my engine with full payment the end of May expecting it back in about 4 weeks like we agreed but on August 17 he emails me and informs me MikeXS is out of the 750 kits until the first of the year. Not sure why he didn’t order it in June when Mike had 511 kits but that’s another story for later. Just can’t wait to get this baby back.

I knew I wanted Rich at G&L to do my frame, fake oil tank/battery box, and forward controls so after striking a deal with G&L, I cut the frame and sent her to G&L to be transformed. Several weeks later she came back home.
xs650003.jpg

I knew she was going to be beautiful but I had no idea just how gorgeous she would be after her surgery.

After getting my surgically enhanced beauty back it was time to add the tank/battery box, gas tank, seat, and rear fender. I had an old Ford spare tire ring laying around so it was used for the fender.
xs650.jpg

I had Paul at Daddios Designs made me a Black Cherry seat so it was next. Paul does outstanding work at a very reasonable price, check him out. The seat was mounted using a set of satin Chopper Shox.
BlackCherry.jpg

So after mounting all of her new accessories she began to take shape.
xs650006.jpg

I was kicking around the idea of painting the frame gloss red and the tank, fender, and oil/battery box flat black so just to get an idea of what it might look like and to stop the rust I rattled canned it all.
xs650011.jpg

To be continued…

It is January 10, 2010 and still no engine. I just hope I am not just another victim of Paul (Bob) Bertaut. I know MikesXS is out of 750 kits until February so when the kits get back in stock I’ll turn the heat up on Mr. Bertaut.

To be continued…

- coming together nicely Jimed, hope you dont have problems with paul, there are a lot of mutterings happening out there, too much longer and id be thinking seriously about paying him a personal visit

- when posting pics you can fit them in the screen by adding 'resize' into the entry immediately after IMG,
so... [noparse]
[/noparse]

Hope you you get some kind of closure with amount the Bertants owe you but you may be just another notch in their the belt I'm afraid.

Jimed, great start and good documentation of the build.

I took care of the [noparse]
[/noparse] stuff for you like inxs mentioned. Click edit on your post so see what the code ends up looking like... See this for more details: Setting maximum width (height) for images (reducing image size)

Keep us updated on the build and if you ever hear anything from "Bob".

Hi fellas, I'm new to the site, but I've been lurking for awhile. Love those pipes, I think GreatScott should start a full on business making pipes! Just thought I'd add my 2cents about Mr. Bertaut, I've been a member of the site quite awhile, I bought over a grand in parts last year from him, took 4-5 months to get them and even then I never got the mufflers I ordered. I replied to another message from someone waiting for parts and I've been removed from the site. I didn't think I wrote anything offensive but I guess they (Paul, Bob, Aaron, whoever) didn't like it. Anyways sorry to jack the thread, just a little po'd right now. I hope your motor comes soon, I have no doubt that he knows how to build a good motor.
Dogger

Back