My cafe build!

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been asking everyone so many questions, and I finally got some work done on my bike last week. Got a pair of clubmans on it and a flat seat. In a couple weeks I'll start working on mounting the front of the seat, shortening the clutch and throttle cables, and designing a bracket for my tail light, license plate, and turn signals to get fabbed. I'm really digging the look so far, can't wait to keep going. Let me know what your guys think!

Hopefully I don't forget to update...

Smiles

Attachments

• Snapchat--8040846604373956939.jpg
    Snapchat--8040846604373956939.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Snapchat-6891094699056654915.jpg
    Snapchat-6891094699056654915.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 353
I read your post on testing the cables. Very good post. In the video you were only using one finger to pull the clutch lever. A friend has his xs stored in my polebarn and it is a real bear to pull it. Mine is still in the building and I hope I can come close to what you have done. I want to buy new handlebar controls for the clutch any suggestions on what to get that will work with the motion pro cable if the motion pro is what you suggest? Thanks for that great information.

Ok everyone,

So I think in the next couple of months I'll either be able to afford a nice pair of shocks (I was thinking progressive) or a PMA, since it seems the prices aren't too far off.

Edit: Ok I'd probably be spending around $100 less on the shocks.

Here are my thoughts:
I'm thinking I wanna lift the rear end up a bit (I was thinking about 13.5" shocks) and From everything I hear, you gotta spend good money for a pair of good shocks.

As for the PMA:
I'm thinking somewhere down the road I may want to go kickstart only, and I know a PMA is needed for that BUT my stock charging system seems to be working fine and I have no idea when I'll actually be getting rid of the battery.

While we're on the topic of a PMA, and this may be a dumb question, but if I installed a PMA and then later rephased the motor there are no issues with that, correct? I already have a pamco ignition, and I know I'd need a different ignition for the rephased motor.

Just looking for everyone's input on what may be the best use of the money right now.

Smiles

I know how that goes!

For me, I tend to prioritize by importance:
Engine
Electrical
Suspension
Appearance

In my case, the Engine/Electrical are stock and run/work great...not messing with them. So then it's suspension-- which happens to also help with appearance. :)

Good luck.

Well now that I'm done working on 'Ol Blue for a while, here are finally some pictures for those of you that may actually be paying attention to my build thread. Put on a custom seat, some clubmans, and led front blinkers. Nothing crazy, but a pretty good start I'd say. Just need to get the clutch and throttle cables shortened up and she should be ready for spring!

Attachments

• 20150101_164436.jpg
    20150101_164436.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 251
  • 20150101_164452.jpg
    20150101_164452.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 20150101_164500.jpg
    20150101_164500.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 205
"As for the PMA:
I'm thinking somewhere down the road I may want to go kickstart only, and I know a PMA is needed for that BUT my stock charging system seems to be working fine and I have no idea when I'll actually be getting rid of the battery."

If you want to get rid of your battery you need a PMA. If you want to go kickstart only (getting rid of all the electric start motor etc..) you can keep your stardard charging system ... but you will need to keep a small battery. (I'm sure you know that. )

Dave

Looks good so far. As for next, I would go for the rephase! I have done one and am in the process on two more, it makes a worth while difference.

DaveO, Yeah I know what's needed for what, I just haven't made any decisions yet.

Brassneck and Dman4222, Thanks! I would love to rephase it but I'm not sure that I can spend that much money on it right now, and I don't really have a place to work on it.

Back