My day so far......

We''ll see if Jim shares a knee photo someday....
Day after surgery. Standing without the walker... Bandage off. About a week later...

IMG_20161115_150327798.jpg
IMG_20161202_123339663.jpg

still feels a bit rubbery and thus, not entirely safe
Yeah, Pete, it took me maybe 6 months after surgery before I really "trusted" my new left knee. But after compensating for it for so long, I actually had to re-learn how to walk properly on it, instead of walking over it. I have more aches and pains in my original equipment right knee than I do with the replacement (more mileage, I guess). Slow & steady wins the race. You'll get there! :thumbsup:

Sure wish I had a post-op knee photo to share (you guys should form a club !! ;))

....but I'll offer this X-Ray of my right hip which was shattered 2011 when I crashed my KLR650 deep in the Dryden Yellow Barn State Forest.
Three 3.5" titanium screws. Well-healed, the doc told me recently.

004.JPG

Last edited:
We've had some really pleasant weather this week.

Then it hit.

Last night, howling winds, temps dropped to 30°F, snow flurrys.

Woke up around 3:00 am to the strange sound of absolute silence, and darkness.

Power outage. No heat.

Had to fix a power coupling out there. Brrrrrrrrr.

Finally, back on-line...
View attachment 134688

Thats Typical that is !..... the cat hogs the fire and everybody else goes cold :)
boy am I glad I'm not living off grid in this weather

Day after surgery. Standing without the walker... Bandage off. About a week later...

View attachment 134973 View attachment 134974

Hey your doctor looks like my kind of guy! I like the way he took a sharpie and drew alignment marks up and down your leg!

Sure wish I had a post-op knee photo to share (you guys should form a club !! ;))

....but I'll offer this 2011 X-Ray of my right hip which was shattered when I crashed my KLR650 deep in the Dryden Yellow Barn State Forest.
Three 3.5" titanium screws. Well-healed, the doc told me recently.

View attachment 134982

Dude! Those are some serious screws! Are they still in there?

Hey your doctor looks like my kind of guy! I like the way he took a sharpie and drew alignment marks up and down your leg!

Dude! Those are some serious screws! Are they still in there?
You betcha.
The Xrays are updated from a month ago.
"you ain't growin' anymore" he said, so the screws stay in.

Modern surgery is freakin' amazing. This was done on an emergency basis.

Last edited:
118 deg. today (which is what I had prior to,surgery) plus I got on the stationary bike and could get all the way around a complete revolution right from the start.

I “rode” for about 4-5 min, so I’m chuffed!

well done Pete ....cycling is great for a lot of rehabilitation exercise. I used it when i broke my back. I couldn't walk without spasms but I could cycle miles . The bike forms a useful triangular support for the body. keep at it Pete ...if you set yourself a distance to locations locally it will give you some targets to motivate you.
Stick Le tour De France on the telly :)

Indeed, I used to be an avid long distance cyclist (I rode from Toronto to PEI and back when I was 15 and toured the UK and Western Europe at 18 in 1976) but at present, my “riding” is confined to a stationary bike.

sounds like there is a book there somewhere Pete !;)

Just a little pedal round Europe eh ..... that must have been an amazing experience for an 18 year old. Best I've done in a day was 120 miles but it was over Exmoor !
Good that you've reminded me that you are a keen cyclist as I can rest easy that you know how to set up your saddle height to minimise stressing your knee ;)

Good that you've reminded me that you are a keen cyclist as I can rest easy that you know how to set up your saddle height to minimise stressing your knee ;)

Yup - if I recall correctly, the correct dimension from the top of the saddle to the lower peddle with the crank set parallel to the seat tube is approx. 107% of the riders inseam length.

However, I’m a long way from getting on my road bike again.

Yup - if I recall correctly, the correct dimension from the top of the saddle to the lower peddle with the crank set parallel to the seat tube is approx. 107% of the riders inseam length.

However, I’m a long way from getting on my road bike again.

I'm not an advocate of using that type of method pete . Theres always been a lot of controversy over bike fitting hasn't there :) its like asking someone what is the best oil to put in your engine .:laugh2:

Experience has taught me that the correct measurement for bike fitting is the measurement that is correct for the individuals cycling requirements, fitness levels and type of cycling .Its an individual thing imo.
Setting a saddle height to a set percentage of a riders inseam is asking for damage to the knees. It doesn't take into consideration the type of bike or saddle nor does it consider what type of cycling the individual does. For leisure or rehabilitation riding having the saddle too high and over extending the leg is just as damaging to the knees as under extending is . ;)

percentage inseam measurements do not take into consideration the size of riders feet either ! :)

I wear a size 11 UK shoe (11.5 US) obviously the point at which the sole of my shoe contacts the peddle is a lot further from my ankle than a size 8 would be As we know ,when peddling ,the foot doesn't stay level with the pedal axle it has a cyclic motion so a leg with size 8 shoe would need to extend further than a leg with size 11 shoe . This is very important as the majority of riders today use clip-in shoes and incorrect saddle height can cause permanent damage to knees.

So a little post script for those who remember what started this thread . :lmao:

Called the manufacturer and they immediately overnighted a free replacement faucet. Wow!
We couldn’t believe it. Of course we already had a replacement installed. However we still had the receipt for our original purchase, so we took the unopened box back and got a full refund. Thank you very much!
Also the garage that lost that special fastener ordered me a new one and it’s already been installed. Everybody made good on their products and service.
AND just as a bonus, the AGM battery that I bought on eBay that had a tiny ding in one corner? Yeah.....they shipped me a replacement without me even asking.
All of this is the exact opposite of my usual results. This was a bad week for the bear, I ATE HIM! :D
Now if I could just shut off this rain of biblical proportion we are supposed to have for the next 16 hours. Flood warnings statewide!

Back