• Yes, not expensive

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
I'm getting a 79 xs650 in two days, and plan on getting what I need to make it run. Any recomendations on websites for parts or aftermarket parts? I'ts been in a garage for six years but still is in pretty good shape. Anything thing I should look for right away? I'm a bit new to bikes for building and restoring. Also, is it possible to "chop" the bike but retain a two passenger seat?
bike.png

Welcome to the forum, GrimmIth.

First 2 things that come to mind on that bike:

Remove the tank and post up some crisp/clear closeup pics of the raked neck area, so the frame builders and welders here can inspect any welding in there.

Second is the centerstand. It has no stop, and is swinging up enuff to contact the drivechain...

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that to, its hard to tell if its actually hitting the chain, but like i said I have to go over the whole thing with pics once I get it. I was thinking a out lowering the rear a couple inches, can I make it an off road chopper? haha

What a shame ..... that was one of the most coveted 650 models around, a 1979 Standard. They didn't make a whole lot of them. Now it's all fucked up. I'd be afraid to even drive it with that raked out neck and extended forks. Probably handles about as well as a moped doing 90, lol.

Are you sure it's raked? I just bought one that I thought was raked out and it turned out it was just the extended forks playing tricks with the eyes.

It *could* be an optical illusion, but with a mild fork extension and level-appearing frame, it seems to me to be raked a little. Kinda like this one:

WORBOYS10001.jpg

What a shame ..... that was one of the most coveted 650 models around, a 1979 Standard. They didn't make a whole lot of them. Now it's all fucked up. I'd be afraid to even drive it with that raked out neck and extended forks. Probably handles about as well as a moped doing 90, lol.
What do you think the best approach would be to styling up this bike? I'm pretty open minded and willing to listen to whoever can provide an experienced opinion. It needs to stay two seated, even if I have to whip up something custom to attach to the frame. As for it being raked out, I believe the man said he just replaced the forks (still even has the plastic covers :D) , and it may be an optical illusion like TwoMany said. I seriously was considering making this like a wastelander chopper haha

First and foremost, before anything else, get it running and running well. Someone has discussed this earlier on another thread and I'm a firm believer in the ideology, there is a point a-b-c, your going straight to point c. First check for safety, brakes/suspension/frame/etc, then part b, go through and make sure your mechanically sound, then after all of this, start making it your own, best of luck

First and foremost, before anything else, get it running and running well. Someone has discussed this earlier on another thread and I'm a firm believer in the ideology, there is a point a-b-c, your going straight to point c. First check for safety, brakes/suspension/frame/etc, then part b, go through and make sure your mechanically sound, then after all of this, start making it your own, best of luck
Oh I fully understand and agree man, I already discussed with my dad that getting it running is a priority, I just like to plan ahead for financial saving and budgeting for those future parts and what I have to work with. I found out the only thing wrong with it is new fluids, and a front brake line. It has 11,000 original miles and the tires are brand new 2 years ago, but not driven on. Also I was correct, its an illusion and the man said he just replaced the fork with a new one, nothing changed structurally.

+1 on 2m's thought about the weld, I to think the neck has been raked. To be 100% sure your going to have to have a look
Comparison of what the original bike and yours look together
79F.jpg

This is with a stock neck and 4 over tubes. Look under it at the side stand, 3 inch extension to get it to sit more upright.
IMG_20140322_104742_375.jpg

Same bike with stock tubes (and a different dress).
IMG_20150909_133135_435.jpg

+1 on 2m's thought about the weld, I to think the neck has been raked. To be 100% sure your going to have to have a look
Comparison of what the original bike and yours look together
View attachment 88310
Oh wow, you guys were right haha...I guess that day talking to him i miss understood the sentence about "replacing the front with new parts"...so initially it's his fault for miscommunication lol. But for a serious question to you guys, does it REALLY matter what your bike dress is? or do people just love bikes and like the fact you did work to your bike. with anything racial or vulgar set aside because I don't plan on getting any of that.

But thank you everyone for your posts, once I get some more updated stuff I'll upload :D

But for a serious question to you guys, does it REALLY matter what your bike dress is?
Only to the owner? I just happen to like that tank. It has been been on several (like the not so special '83 in my avatar) and with this bike I can use the matching side covers (unlike the not so special '83). But is has changed again.
IMG_20160804_220617_076.jpg

IMG_20160707_211030_244.jpg

No, the style and look is what is pleasing to you. You queried about "things to look for" so i posted the comparison pic to compare the front rake, (2m alluded to), against a factory bike, and for any comparison that may have been a help to you.

What's important is what you like, don't worry about what other people think is the new cool shit, do your thing and you'll always be happy
Thats how i've lived my whole life, and I'm not disagreeing. But what if im at a rally or Abate and some F*#$*&# doesnt approve of waht my bike looks like or multiple people dont? I cant throwdown and dance on peoples faces anymore because of college and my family so I'm a bit stuck lol.

Back