My first bike!! tips welcome (build thread) Seeking CDI

Cussler

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Recently I've been lucky enough, through the right connections, to pick up a greasy old 1981 XS650 chopper/bobber from a local biker. He use to ride it as his daily, but decided to part with it. When i purchased it it was mostly in parts, just an engine in a frame. It came with two other complete extra engines, three fuel tanks (one is the original and looks like its never seen outside of a showroom), six wheels with tires, three rebuilt sets of carbs, and boxes upon boxes of miscellaneous parts; definition of a young mans wet dream.

Anyways, this is my first motorcycle. I am at the final stages of rough reassembly, and i really want to hear it run! I've gathered up my as many wiring diagrams as i can get my hands on, but i have come a cross a road block. i can not seem to find my ignition module. granted i have to skim through several boxes to find parts to do anything, i can not seem to find it. When i purchased the bike we were grabbing parts from all over his shop, loading them up, so i don't doubt we just happened to miss it, unfortunately. Whats my best bet in finding one? online doesn't seem to help much.

this is my first thread, i'm a forum virgin, so if I'm using this wrong please say. I am sure I'll be back with plenty of questions! thanks for any help. (tank is going to get repainted soon and forward controls are not connected yet)
IMAG0873[238].jpg

Go back and get it. In the meen time, tinker away. Check the valves,camchain. S.o.s. The wheels. If you cant get the black box from him, hunt ebay. Not cheap, and no guarantee it works.
Cruise the tech section, especially the "new to you" thread, and the carb guide.
And welcome to the show.

Hi Cussler and welcome,
If the stash of parts has a stock battery box in it, look underneath it because that's where Yamaha puts them.
It may seem counter-intuitive to put the iggybox in a prime area to collect engine oil and road dirt but it's also
the most vibration-protected part of the bike.
And fit some kinda rear fender eh? One bounce backwards off that seat will land your arse on the rear tire
and rip your nuts off. I got a complete rear fender off an XS650 Special. Yours for postage.

Welcome Cussler, I can feel my nuts hurting already, that's a generous offer Fred, :bow2:
:D
Hi Mick,
if Cussler had managed to get to the CVMG's fall Red Deer Swapmeet he coulda saved himself the postage.
I sold a whole pile of miscellaneous XS650 parts there at bargain prices and was giving stuff away at the end rather than haul it home again.

Yamaha calls the black ignition module a TCI, transistor controlled ignition. If you get a TCI never weld anything to the bike unless the TCI has been removed.

Is that the voice of experience talking? lol
Sure is! I have sold at least 5 TCIs to guys that destroyed theirs by welding on the bike! The last one was about a month ago. I am about out of TCIs now. I have kind of kept a straw poll of why guys need to buy a TCI from me, that is by far the #1 reason.
I have (bravely) MIG welded on my Mercedes Sprinter van exhaust in spite of the cubic dollar replacement cost of the gazzilion electronic components in a modern vehicle. MY fig leaf is connecting the welder ground to the exhaust right where I'm working......

My $ .02 sugestion. Forget the 30 plus year old TCI and get a new iggy system. If its just to hear it run, points and 4 ohm coils will work.

My $ .02 sugestion. Forget the 30 plus year old TCI and get a new iggy system. If its just to hear it run, points and 4 ohm coils will work.
But a TCI engine doesn't have anything under either cam cover............ IE advance advance rod, AR bushings, points plate etc.
Not saying he shouldn't change iggys but prolly not to points.

I've heard that myth before, and I don't believe it. maybe it's long term damage? I've welded on trucks, cars, bikes, tractors, and have never had a problem . but I do keep the ground as close to the weld as possible

While I have not toasted one myself, the circumstances around TCI deaths make me believe it's not a myth. I have heard this same story too many times from guys; it was running, I welded, no spark, dead TCI. It's gotten so that's my first question when guys come snooping to see if I have a TCI. Was it running? did you weld with the TCI on the bike? Uh..... yeah, crap. I have tried many times to get the I welded/failed TCI to have look see, but they never send it to me in spite of promises. I kinda guess hope it will be one failed component that could be replaced.

thanks everyone for the input! since the bike came with two other engines, they both happen to be points engines. would it be possible to swap them over to this engine? are they straight over compatible? i have about six sets of extra points, the shaft they run on etc. im just not overly sure how they work, how they attach to the bike, and how to wire them in! would be a little more work than going the "TCI" route, but may be my only option. Also thank you fred, i would be very interested in the rear fender! i actually travel to Saskatoon quite frequently ( i am originally from Rosetown) possibly next time im down i could come grab it!

i also have the coils for a points ignition as well, i think. when running points what is the true difference between electronic? do i still need my regulator/rectifier? i have a timing light etc so if i can figure out how to get it in the bike, i should be able to get it set up.

With points, you have to set and adjust them, set and adjust the timing too. You have to do this on a regular basis, like every 3 to 4 thousand miles. With the electronic TCI, it's pre-set and never needs to be touched. If you wanted to use the points system on your '81 engine, you would need to swap in the cam, alternator, and all the related points parts from one of your spare motors. Honestly, it would probably be easier just to swap one of the other whole motors in there.

Yes, you need a reg/rec no matter which system you use. It's not part of the ignition, it's for your charging system. But, if you switch alternators to the points type, you will need to switch regs too. The '81 reg/rec won't work with the older alternator.

Keep researching around the forum here. You have lots to learn. You may have all sorts of spare parts now but that won't last long if you start burning electrical components up, lol.

Great info! sounds like it would just be easier to stick to TCI and wait out getting one. Points sounds like a hassle. In the mean time ill refurbish my current two engines and get them finished up, just in case. one of them is rephased to 170, which will probably be my future engine regardless.

Yes, if you're not familiar with setting points and timing then you are better off sticking with the TCI. Years ago, most every home mechanic could do this stuff. Today, not so much, lol.

Back