My first build (2016) '72 xs650

Azazel

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am presently starting a restore on a '72 xs650 and could use your help and expertise as I progress. The bike is in "so so" shape. But needs a lot of work. I'm starting with the basics. Carb clean, gas tank clean. And electrical.. I keep hearing people talk about a fuse box on this one? Located under the battery? I think it may have been removed. Cuz there is none. Nada.

(This is my first post and I'm realizing that picture size has to be max 300kb? Wha?.. That's gonna be fun):wtf:

Anyways, I'll figure out how to upload some pics convieniently.

Haynes manual shipped and on its way.

Posted via Mobile

Hey everybody,

I am presently starting a restore on a '72 xs650 and could use your help and expertise as I progress. The bike is in "so so" shape. But needs a lot of work. I'm starting with the basics. Carb clean, gas tank clean. And electrical.. I keep hearing people talk about a fuse box on this one? Located under the battery? I think it may have been removed. Cuz there is none. Nada.

(This is my first post and I'm realizing that picture size has to be max 300kb? Wha?.. That's gonna be fun):wtf:

Haynes manual shipped and on its way.

Posted via Mobile

XS650's from 1970 to 1978 Standard models, had only one main fuse (20 amp). In 1978 the Special model was the first year to have 4 fuses. The 4 fuses continued onto 1983/84 years as well. The thing you see under the battery box is the rectifier.

Here's mine,came out pretty well ,be prepared to spend lots of money and time.
Had a fun time doing it though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 384
She's real purty. I know. I realize I'm gonna spend a lot of time and money on her. It's bound to be a very interesting project. Thanks for the tip.

...This is my first post and I'm realizing that picture size has to be max 300kb? Wha?.. That's gonna be fun):wtf:

Posted via Mobile

Welcome to the forum, Azazel.

Posted via Mobile?
I use Android versions of "Pixler" and "Imageshrink" to get pics below 300kb.

Hey Azazel! Haynes is fine but get and believe in a factory manual... Now get those pics up!

I agree with Gary, I use Clymer, Hanes, and the factory manual for reference. Good luck with the build, Nice to see it will be saved. Took me two years.

Alright so, can you suggest an easy way of posted pics on this? Cuz it says only 300kb sized pics. Holy balls that's small! I've tried compressing them and other stuff to no avail...

Yeah. It's so so. Needs a lot of tlc though. I'll take some more pics of it up close and post them when I get some time.

Just bought the Clymer manual. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I'm looking for the factory one.

Edit: found a PDF version of the factory manual somewhere online. Now I have all three. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
A few more pics of the bike. In its present state.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 381
I gave in... gonna have to post everything from my desktop as the mobile version of this site is shyte...

full

full

full

full

Gas tank is pretty rusty. According to my research, some say to use vinegar to clean it. Others, muriatic acid etc. etc... What do you guys suggest? I was thinkin' of just picking up a few jugs of CLR.

full

Also, I took apart the signal/light and horn assembly because it seemed "jammed". It was full of dirt(weird)
full

full

full

But when I tried cleaning out the other half, a bunch of springs and copper contacts came popping out. Oops!

full

So I'm considering getting a replacing (china made knockoff) type unit that looks visually the same. sells for 89.99 on eBay and just changing the contacts(?) What do you guys think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371532192987?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hi Azazel,
well, you seem to have won the photo-posting battle, or at least fought it to a standstill, eh?
About the bike, what's that antique furniture term? Well patinated?
It's a look that some riders cherish, it lets them spend more expense and effort on the bike's mechanicals and keeps it safer from thieves, who prefer to nick the shiny ones.
The photos do show that besides not being kept looking good the bike has been somewhat PO'd.
While side-covers are easily lost it's not everyone who's install his mufflers wrong side out.
And WTF is the thing bolted to the rightside muffler? A flagpole bracket?
When you put the mufflers to rights a thing that won't cost much but will improve the bike's look is to replace the el-cheapo strap-iron muffler clamps with Stainless T-bolt clamps from Princess auto.
[edit] your last pair of photos just leapfrogged this post. Reverse electrolysis cleaning may be the way to de-rust that tank and there may be more than $50-worth of frustration in restoring that switch. Perhaps it's replacement time?

Welcome to the forum, Azazel.

Posted via Mobile?
I use Android versions of "Pixler" and "Imageshrink" to get pics below 300kb.

I'm on iphone and I tried apps for resizing and even photobucket for hosting them and I got pissed off with the url thing here not acknowledging the links. So I decided to post via the on site album thing and copy paste the image BB from my desktop to my comments.
Makes me have to go in the house and upstairs to the desktop to post them. Oh well... Haha. It's good exercise. Only reason I have to is because the copy/paste function on my phone for this site is simply NOT working properly. :banghead:

Back