My First Build Ever, 81 XS650, Lets see how this goes...

Nick87James

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up this 81 a few days ago and rode it home, it runs decent, definetly needs the carbs cleaned out and adjusted(Which I've never done before) And then ordering my TC Bros Hardtail and then on from there... This is my progress after the First day, I got some tear down done and cleaned out the carbs, but I have to get some new gaskets for the carbs before they are finished. I have been labeling every single wire possible to hopefully help me out in the long run...

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0498-1.jpg
    IMG_0498-1.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 266
Welcome! I'll be watching this thread, got an 81 HS myself! Mine is in bits though!
All completely new to me too!!

Good luck and do carry on!:thumbsup:

Thanks man, I'm excited, kinda nervous too, just want to do things right... I also just ordered a powder coating kit and some eastwood media so I cant wait to try that out... And my Hardtail from TC Bros, Now I just gotta find someone who can weld, I've never done it before...

Last edited:
Well heres an update, I finally got to work on it some more, tried out the powder coat on the handlebar clamps, they look good. I also got my hard tail and engine stand from tc bros in the mail. Just gotta keep working:thumbsup:

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

More work done tonight, just need to clean things up and get it welded up, also waiting for more funds to start ordering some of the parts I have been checking out...
Any advice for the newbie is welcome, thanks.

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

I also noticed after i cut it, that it says to leave the motor in while cutting, hope that does'nt come back to bite me... let me know if I should worry...

Looks like your top rails don't line up like mine did. I had an earlier frame though. Might have to heat your lower rails and bend them up to meet the backbone.

I just did a rough cut,i will perfect and clean everything up once i have time and I am getting closer to welding, I still have almost an inch to cut off the bottom so it should line up. I just wanted to see what the final product would sort of look like. Thanks for the advice though...
What kind of welder do you suggest for all the work you guys have done?Mig, tig?

I also noticed after i cut it, that it says to leave the motor in while cutting, hope that does'nt come back to bite me... let me know if I should worry...

Just do yourself a favor and put the motor back in before welding it in place.

moral of the story, read up a bit more before jumping in too deep. and, yes, put the engine back in before welding. start with the bottom mount, then front and top, and bolt the backbone mounts last. The backbone likely sprung back and out of alignment when you chopped the frame apart. throw an axle spacer in there, while you're at it.

I'm building my first project, too. This forum (especially the tech. section and search function) will be your most valuable XS resource on the web.

welcome to the forum you will find lots of info here I just got a 78 xs650 that I plan to restore over the winter months also do some powder coating here is a pic of the oven I built for powder needed a bigger oven for a 79 cr250 elsinore I restored last winter allmost everything except the tank were PC'ed I hope its big enough for the 650 frame! also posted pic of elsinore I see your into dirt by your KX[/IMG][/IMG]

Attachments

• crright.jpg
    crright.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
Well I started getting into the engine and went and bought a 750 lb engine stand from Harbor Freight and went to ace hardware and bought some 13 dollar angle iron and built some adaptors with bolts since I haven't bought a welder yet and used the stock engine mounting bolts. But they work great and the engine stand from HF is way better than the one i bought from TC Bros and is nearly the same price. There is alot of carbon on the valves and pistons.... I mean alot. So I will start knocking some of it out tomorrow with the valve compound and plunger deally I bought from Autozone, also picked up some gasket remover as the gaskets disintegrated when I took things apart... Let me know any tips and tricks you have, thanks!
IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

I also decided to finish the motor before getting the frame welded since it needs to be in the frame to keep things aligned anyways, i also should be getting an air compressor and sandblaster this week, to clean the outside of the motor up also before powder coating :)

Hi and welcome - nice little build going on there. Im at the same stage as you on my umteenth build. This time a hard tail (my first one). I have a build thread on here too and Ill be interested in watching your come along. The only tip I would give is, before diving in to anything, read up as much as you can, buy a manual(s) and post up on here. This is the most friendly and accomodating forum I have ever come across, with some wonderfully helpful people!
All the best!

Looking good

I love the picture of the carbs being disassembled, and the hammer within easy reach! The tool of choice for the professional mechanic!

Keep on at it.

Back